Eggs extruding liquid through pores??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chotii, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend gives me eggs periodically, and I get about a 75% hatch rate. This last batch was quite dirty and I washed them under clear running water, no soap. This batch has some kind of problem I don't understand. I have found 4 of these eggs (so far) with little areas on the air-cell end, where it appears that albumin has extruded through pores?? Obviously I am disposing of those eggs when I find them, but what the heck is going on? It looks to me like there is pressure inside, and I do NOT want them to explode on me, but ...what the heck is going on?

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have no idea. But here is a bump for you so maybe some one who does know will read this..

I think this would be good for all of us to know, in case we come across it one day..

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Bacteria. I'd scrap this hatch ASAP and scrub scrub scrub the bator and leave it in the sun a couple days to kill it out, otherwise future hatches can be contaminated.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't know exactly, but your theory that there is pressure inside and there is material extruding through pores sounds pretty credible. Maybe the eggs weren't fertile/ were old/ were porous from the start.

Crack (inside a plastic bag!) one of the eggs that you are discarding to see what is going on...it may well help.

Sandie

5. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Quote:i totally agree. i think its bacteria. you should really wash your bator with antibacterial soap. and another note befor handling them even before during or while hatching if you dont wash your hands with good soap you will get bacterial on eggs and will cause u problems. hope you fix your problems!!! happy hatching! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by