Eggs for food banks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Turkeyrun, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi,

not sure of the best topic for posting this...

Is anyone aware of food banks that accept home grown eggs? If so are there processing/cleaning requirements?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some won't accept them from backyard flock keepers. You'd have to ask the specific one you want to donate to, I guess.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    your best bet is to contact your local food banks and ask them what their requirements are. You can also contact local churches that might know families who could use food assistance.

I know that many food banks accept deer meat during hunting season, so I assume that fresh eggs would also be welcome.

4. craz e laid e

craz e laid e Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    I imagine all states/counties/food banks may vary. I just called ours and they accept them, and didn't give me any qualifications for them. I did tell them I don't usually wash them. They now know me by name, and are very greatful for them. Instead of getting a receipt each time, they keep a log and send me a receipt at the end of the year for income tax purposes (in pounds, not dozens [​IMG] ). Can't hurt to just call and ask.

1 person likes this.
  5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    There is a food bank in town that gives out food on Tuesday mornings. When I have extra eggs, vegetables from the garden, I just drive down there on Tuesday morning and ask a few that are in line and they are very glad to have whatever you can give. Tomatoes and fresh eggs are a favorite.

1 person likes this.
  6. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My local food bank won't take backyard chicken eggs.

BUT there are several places, that serve hot meals who will take them. Like homeless shelters, battered women's homes, etc. I also give a lot of eggs to my local firehouse since those guys really appreciate them & it's very convenient to me.

2 people like this.
  7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Another good place is the schools. They know of so many kids who have nothing to eat except for at school and families would love anything like that. I started a food pantry at our school and have farms who donate weekly. Every friday parents can come in and fill a paper bag with fresh veggies/fruits and bread for the weekend. Also have gotten the school to send home food extras from lunch with the families who are in real bad need.

1 person likes this.
  8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    In our small town, the food bank takes delivery of garden vegetables and eggs. I didn't ask about meat. We have taken both fresh vegetables and eggs to our food bank.

I put our cell phone number on the label. The cell phone is an extra one that we use (free the way our plan is) that is only used for Craig's list and for our eggs. That way, they have a way of contacting us if there is a public health concern. I know it is a risk, but if I were having to use a food bank, I would still be concerned about safety of our food for my family and would appreciate that there is a number on the eggs.

I take VERY fresh eggs that I do wash just for them. They usually prepare a sandwich and soup lunch the same day at the food bank and the last time I took eggs in, the ladies pounced on the eggs and were going to use them in the lunch they were making.

I usually take 18 eggs every other Friday to the food bank. It feels like such a measly amount to me, but at least it is something. I am trying to teach the kids that some folks have had a much harder time than others so they realize the need to help your community.

9. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Bless you chicken people who donate eggs, vegetables and time to food banks, etc. Makes me proud to be associated with you.[​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My food bank accepts backyard chicken eggs. I emailed them to ask first, when they said it was ok I brought them 10 dozen. I get a lot of eggs. They even sent me a thank you card. Planning to bring more as soon as I have more cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by