Eggs for hatching from Gar Creek Poultry

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serendipity22, Aug 21, 2007.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Has anyone ordered from Gar Creek Poultry? If so, how good was your hatch (I understand shipping is traumatic). What quality were the chickens that did hatch. Were the eggs as dark as the photos suggest?

Thanks for any replies.

2. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Wow [​IMG] ... For all the folks that recommend this website, no one has ordered eggs?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've only ordered hatching eggs from ebay, and have had pretty good success. Maybe there is someone out there who has not seen this post yet that can comment on that specific hatchery.

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Many of us have ordered eggs and many of us sell eggs. I have not heard of Gar Creek Poultry mentioned on this or other boards I have visited.

Many of us here try to buy from others on this board as we have better communication with our own group. Good Luck.

5. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont think you offended anyone; why on earth would you say that? Maybe the person who recommended that hatchery just hasn't been to the forum in awhile. I myself in all my extensive research had never heard of them either, but I did go to their website after your post to see what they breed.

7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Serendipity:
    You haven't offended me.
    I have mentioned Gar Creek Poultry on BYC before. So maybe you heard from me. Usually if I mention a place it is when people ask a general question such as "where can I find Blue Laced Red Wyandottes?" or "anybody know where I can find Penedesencas?" I have never answered direct questions like "Has anyone ever ordered from Gar Creek Poultry?" without direct knowledge.
    In my case, I have not bought from them but that is on me, not him. Finances play a role for me so I decided not to buy at that time. If I were to buy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Gar Creek based on conversations I have had with others who have and the feeling I got from talking to him diectly.
    Like I said, I have never bought from Gar Creek but I have talked to some people who have, especially locally here in Oklahoma. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have talked to the owner on the phone and with email. He has always been quick to respond to my questions. I do think he works out of state some and may not always be available by phone. He has returned my phone calls and my emails each time.

As for hatching eggs being shipped, you are taking a gamble no matter who you order from. I for one have never had a good hatch from shipped eggs but I know others that have. I have heard stories about eggs shipped across the U.S. with great results and others that didn't go very far with terrible results.
    I have done some egg swaps. I know that the eggs I sent were fresh and fertile and I had been getting very good hatches with them but the people I sent them to had poor hatches.
    There are many variables with shipped eggs. If you do get some shipped to you, please candle them to see if they are good.
    Good eggs can be damaged in shipping, no matter how well they are packaged.
    I hope this helps and I am sorry if I lead anyone astray. I think I answered each question in the way it was presented. If not, I apoligize.
    Monty

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  8. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm just trying to get some better blood in my flock and can't find any relatively local good birds. I would love to drive down to Florida and get some of Bev's Marans. Because I understand that they're some of the best. But man, what a drive! And the price of gas! I just can't seem to win...

I'm just trying to do research and everyone is so helpful on here. I've gotten such great information from here and try not to post because I find the answers I need without bugging everyone with the same questions that they answer over and over.

Anyway. Thanks.

9. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Are you looking for Marans? I think there are some notable Maran breeders in NC. I will have to check.
    Monty

10. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Oh man, Please Do!

I have searched as much as I can search!

Was hoping to go to the State Fair and hopefully running into someone up there!

Oh, you'd be my hero!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by