1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbyjoeokla, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bobbyjoeokla

bobbyjoeokla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    I pick up my eggs once a day how do I kno if they are to cold to put in the incubator

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Unless they've frozen and cracked, they are likely fine. Folks hatch eggs from grocery stores.

Bring them in. Set them into egg cartons, fat end up. Put a thicker book under one end of the carton. Change this tilt back and forth morning, late afternoon and just before going to bed. (8 hour intervals) Store the eggs in a dark, cool, 55F place such as a closet against an outside wall that is cold or in a basement. Usually, after day 5, I've got the eggs I need to fill the 'bator.

I like to then bring them up to room temperature, ie 70-75F and rest them for 8 hours and then pop them into the incubator.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. bobbyjoeokla

Jan 15, 2013
    well its official I had 6 out of 12 eggs hatch and they have lived for 8 weeks. Im happy happy happy thanks to all for the info and support

4. bobbyjoeokla

Jan 15, 2013
    thanks for all the help I put 30 eggs in the incubator and hatched 24 of the six that didn't hatch 2 were fully formed just didn't break through any advise or thoughts on what I may have done wrong is greatly appreciated. oh and 1 of the 26 has a crooked beak can she survive or is it best to put her under?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by