Eggs found in the yard

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joew, May 21, 2016.

1. joew

joew New Egg

Dec 16, 2015
    I'm new to raising chickens and one of my girls has decided not to use the brand new coop I built for them when laying her eggs. I have two questions

1. The eggs I found are no more than a week old and are dry and clean. Are they still good? Temps have been in the upper 70's during the day

2. How do I get her to lay in the nest boxes? I let them free range in my back yard and it seems a bit cruel to lock her up in the coop for days. I found her getting ready to lay and moved her to the nest boxes where she did lay her egg. I also torn down the area where she was, just to find the eggs in a new location today?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd say the eggs should be fine.

You can try and encourage laying in the nest boxes using a number of methods. You can put golf balls in the nests, and keep your hens in the coop during the morning and let them out after they have laid - after a couple of days of laying in the nests, you can let them out as you do regularly. Chickens are creatures of habits, so once they get the hang of laying in the nests, they should continue to do so.

Best wishes
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    CTken has given you good suggestions. Sometimes it helps to put a partial curtain on the front of the nest box, hens like a darker place to lay eggs.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by