Eggs found!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Nov 17, 2013.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    We found five hidden eggs in one nest behind a hay bail. They can't be over two weeks old, would they be good to eat or should we play safe and toss them?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are just for home consumption, you can use the float test to see if they're good or not. Get a glass of water, and submerge an egg in the glass. If it sinks, it's very fresh. The further it stands on end, the older it is. If it lifts off the bottom of the glass completely, it's too old to eat. This has to do with the increasing amount of air that builds up inside the shell as an egg ages. Good luck :)

3. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Thank you for that trick!! Am heading to the kitchen to try it right now!!

4. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Meow long would be to long normaly?

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the outside temperatures, but for the most part eggs should last at least 2-3 weeks outside of a refrigerator or refrigerated temps.

6. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    The US is only one of a few countries that refrigerate their eggs at all! Mother Earth News did a test on eggs some time a go and found some eggs lasted as long as 6 plus months without refrigeration! I am sure that is not the norm, but as the poster earlier stated do the water test and if you are still concerned, break them into a separate container before use to give them a good look over. You will know if they are bad!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/fresh-eggs.aspx

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You will get a lot of different answers to this but here is my 2 cents worth. I would personally play it safe and toss them. It is best to collect eggs daily and toss found eggs older than a few days old.

Eggs have a bloom on them that helps protect them from bacteria but over time bacteria wins out. Eggs in the nest are often incubated by the hen and eggs that have been fertilized will begin the chick formation process in just a few days. These eggs can have blood inside when collected days after incubated in the nest. Probably OK to eat but not recommended. We leave the bloom on the eggs (unwashed) and refrigerate after collecting daily. This is the best way to keep bacteria at bay and provide freshness. Eggs should be washed before eating or packaged if you sell to a market.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by