1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Freezing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Winter, May 6, 2008.

1. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Has anyone thought of a way to keep eggs from freezing? I plan on having a non-heated insulated winter coop but am wondering about the possibility of eggs freezing...could you put a heated pad (like a reptile heater) under the nest box?
    Would this cause the eggs to spoil?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When it's cold enough to freeze them...which is quite often, I just gather them several times a day.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That's what I do too, I make sure I collect the eggs as soon as I get home from work. Thy tend to slow down in the winter also.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Keep lots of bedding in the nest boxes and make sure the nest boxes are nice and cozy(not big and exposed).

I think you will be alright.

-Kim

5. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Your answers make make me laugh.[​IMG]
    Since I am gone to work for about 10 hours a day, collecting during the day is out.
    It gets very cold here, I am confident that an egg could easily freeze in the temps we get.
    I will just have to see how it goes I guess.
    I need someone from Alaska to reply.

6. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    We had a some days last winter where it didn't get above 5 degrees in the daytime, and wicked wind. And I have external nest boxes. On those bitter cold windy days, I did sometimes find cracked frozen eggs in the nest box when I got home after dark from work to get the eggs. I think I may have had about 4 episodes of frozen eggs last winter. Not too bad.

Keep lots of bedding in the nest box, and I would lower the number of nest boxes you have as well in the winter to encourage them to use the same one, so that there is more laying traffic. The next hen sitting on the eggs for a while as she gets ready to lay seems to help keep them from freezing.

You know you can always hang a heat lamp in your coop near the nest boxes when it is bitter cold also.

7. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:FREEZE??!! Whats that?? [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If people would put where they are it would help others to answer their questions.

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Quote:If people would put where they are it would help others to answer their questions.

I will give a second vote to that!

10. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Don't get old you forget what you where going to do.
    Has anyone had an egg that just partially froze and opened it? Can you tell just by looking?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by