EGGS from african and Toulouse

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, May 15, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    How often do these 2 species lay eggs is it like a turkey seasoned? or is it more here and there? or anually? ive had geese before but only 2 males so im new to the whole egg laying thing I want to incubate the eggs as well so any info on that would be helpful thanks so much!

2. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
  3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Some of the heavy breeds of geese don't start laying until their second, third or FOURTH year. Some need water to breed successfully because of their massive size.

For the most part, geese are done laying for the year in much of the country--depending on weather and other conditions. They are seasonal layers.

4. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    ok so for each of the species I stated above how many eggs will they lay in one season?
    and 4 years huh wow how long do geese live? and how many egg laying seasons would you judge they have?

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:It depends on a lot of factors...I would say that my Sebastopols lay maybe 25-40 per year, per goose. They can live as long as 25 years. However, after the first three to four, their fertility rates drop off a lot. I have one 8 year old Muscovy and she still lays (not very often) and still sits on eggs.

6. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    hmm so it could take them up to 4 years to start laying eggs but after that 4 years there fertility rates drop? if I'm understanding that rite or does it take up to 4 years for them to lay and then after they start laying after 4 years there fertility rates drop? LOL

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yes--it takes them 4 years to lay and then they will lay well for a few years and then drop off. It may be different with the lighter (non giant, non-dewlap breeds)....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by