Eggs from an old lady???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Jul 2, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a 5 year old Serama hen and am wondering if I should think about hatching some chicks out from her before she stops producing eggs. How long do you think I have? She lays every other day currently.

Here is Goldie:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And daddy, Baby Sarge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know much about chickens, yet, but Goldie is such a pretty little girl, and Sarge is totally handsome. I'd be curious to see what their babies looked like. I think I would try to hatch a few little ones. They look like they would be proud parents.

3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks! Both of these birds are from e-bay eggs. I managed to hatch out 4 out of 6. We moved away and I had to give away most of my flock so now I am trying to re-build it.

My biggest problem is that Goldie is a "non-Setter" She likes being a free woman!

I do have an incubator and I might try and hatch some later. We are leaving for a week the first part of August and I don't want any tiny chicks that need special care while we are gone. So when I get back I think I will fire up the incubator!

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] OMG they are both so cute and TINY!

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They are both beautiful!

I was browsing a poultry forum last year (can't remember which one) and it was against the rules of that forum to even mention the word 'Serema'. Would anyone know why that would be?

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Gee, why would anyone want to discriminate against those cute little chickens??

Hmm.... I really want some of those guys....Must....NOT....Buy...More....EGGS!!!

7. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    it might be because they are not a recognized breed of chicken

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:There tends to be a lot of drama about the breed, sizes, etc. Mine is smaller than yours and all that type of thing. heh

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wow - those are two gorgeous chickens! I have no clue about your age and eggs question, but I would say incubate some eggs! I bet those will be some beautiful chickens.

Penny

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    What a handsome boy! Wow![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by