Eggs from one chicken taste foul

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FortFunChicks, Sep 3, 2009.

1. FortFunChicks

FortFunChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to raising chickens. I've have two buffs, both 6 months old and they just started laying eggs about 2 weeks ago. From one chicken, the eggs taste amazing. The other chicken's eggs make me want to gag when I smell them or taste them. They are just foul! I usually let them free range around my yard which made me think the one was eating something that caused the eggs to taste and smell bad. So I kept them in the coop for a week hoping that was it. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve anything. The feed is an organic and produced by a local shop in town, and, considering both chickens eat it, I don't think it's the food. I don't wash the eggs and I've tried cooking them just a few hours after laying but the one chicken still has really foul eggs and the other tastes great. Any thoughts? Is this normal when the start laying eggs?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's usually dietary related from what I've heard. It's odd that it isn't affecting both birds. It's probably not related to them being new layers. I don't know what to say. Hopefully someone will have some answers for you. Good luck.

Edited to add Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by