Eggs from the supermarket...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wings, Feb 15, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Just a little bit to think about. Check it out. This is where your eggs usually come from if you get them at the supermarket.

In my family we eat "happy meat" and "happy eggs" and so on. We try to eat as locally as we can. If you're interested, I would definitely read any of Micheal Pollan's books. It's all about how we eat.

2. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I know I am going to get beat up here for this but here goes. Most of America does not want to raise their own food. They either dont have time, dont have the inclination, or just dont care. Its just a product of the way we live. Apartments, large cities, etc etc just are not set up for livestock. I am still buying eggs from the store. My girls will be 16 weeks old this week (wednesday). Its part of our culture. Its the same for the meat we buy at the local meat market or supermarket. I buy from a meat market. Milk is probably the same way. Either turn into a full fledged farmer/rancher or accecpt it.

3. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    well shock value works now doesnt it.
    first off I have watched How its made many many times, and the thing I find odd is its always A MALE explaining things.
    never once have I heard a female doing any comentarys on that show.
    my thought another made up video, not hard to voice over,
    besides that if you compare the 2 voices , they are really rather similar dont ya think,

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I buy my eggs from the market too thou I only get free range eggs t me the better life is worth a little extra. I agree to is hard for us city people and most don't care how their food ended up in the market. More the shame. I am not beating anyone up until I had to take a hard look at my health food was food now I think more about it

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THose chickens looked like they were in a lot better shape than other egg factory hens i have seen. Also the whole factory seemed pretty clean. Must have been new layers. I would love to buy all natural and the whole shabang but the economy is a bit hard on us right now. Nobody should feel guilty because they can only aford regular meat and eggs.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I just watched the end of the video. How its made would never put that in the end of a segment. I think it was fabricated by an animal rights activist group.

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have contacted "The Discovery Channel" and asked if they ever made this video. I will post a reply once its recieved.
    Fake , yes I believe it is , as far as every friend I have spoken to who watches this show, there has never ever been a female used to make the commentaries.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    "How It's Made" is always so cheery and I doubt that The Discovery Channel would ever end a video on a Debbie Downer note of "they're repaid with a trip to the slaughterhouse".

Looks like a normal video but I agree - a woman nerrator has never been used for the series to my knowledge.

9. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I think it's worth the extra bit to know that the animal that gave you your meat, eggs, etc. had a decent and respectable life.

10. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I think it's little things that count. Getting "happy" eggs (that's my family's term for it) occasionally is better than not at all, wouldn't you agree? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by