Eggs getting pecked in nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bob and 5 chicks, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Bob and 5 chicks

Bob and 5 chicks New Egg

Oct 16, 2009
    Almost every day for the past three weeks we find an egg that has been pecked open, in some cases eaten. We have three easter eggers and four RIRs and the pecking seems split between blue/green eggs and brown. Anybody have a clue how to stop this?

2. LastChanceChickenDance

LastChanceChickenDance Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    I have the same problem. Whoever is doing it isn't eating the eggs, just pecking them open.

We tried putting the fake ceramic eggs in the nest so when "she" pecked them "she" wouldn't like the feel, but it didn't do the trick. "She" pecks the real eggs. (We're assuming it's one of the hens and not the rooster.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If possible, hang a cloth over the front of the nest box to partially darken it. With reduced visibility they may stop pecking at the eggs. Once started it is a difficult if not impossible habit to cure.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    On a couple of occasions, I've noticed a "peck" in a egg in the nest. Then I realized that this only happens when I've left all the eggs in the nest for the entire day. Mine have only been pecks, barely through to the egg inside. Those I cook & feed back to the chickies or the dogs.

5. LastChanceChickenDance

LastChanceChickenDance Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    I think we've solved our broken egg problem. We've seen scrub jays flying into the chicken house through the chicken door to eat the food. My husband caught one inside 4 days ago and dispatched it. We haven't had a broken egg since!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by