1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Getting Smaller and Lighter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    My BO started laying about 3 weeks ago. They were perfect little light brown pullet eggs. The we're progressively getting a hair bigger and staying the same light brown color. Her last four eggs have been a different story. Colorwise they went from light brown to pink to cream to white. Sizewise they got smaller, with today's being smaller than her first. Is this a normal pullet thing? Should I be worried?

Just so you know, a cursory exam says she has no mites or fleas. She does not appear to be having a juvenile molt. She has been acting normally (except she was in the nest box quite a while laying today's egg and got agitated when flock mates tried to go in with her) and eating regularly.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Never heard of chickens eggs changing color like that, so I am interested in hearing what others have to say. Do you know it is for sure her laying the different colored eggs or is it possible one of your other chickens laid in the same box as her?

3. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    It's her. She's my only pullet. Everyone else is either not near laying age or a well established layer. A few times I saw her lay.

4. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    When I saw the eggs my hubby gathered today I notice the same thing. All 3 were very light. Almost pink/creamy colored. Up until today they have been varying shades of brown.

5. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'm surprised no one has chimed in about what might be causing it. Glad to know my girls aren't alone.

6. snoggle

snoggle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not a terribly experienced chicken owner, but I believe it is pretty normal for eggs to get lighter from spring to fall. That is definitely true of my girls. However, it sounded like it happened really quickly for this pullet. Makes me wonder if she's about to molt.

Sent from Sarah's iPhone

7. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    I would not suspect molting as she stated that the hen just started to lay eggs. A new hen wouldn't be going through their annual molt just yet. That usually happens around 16- 18 months of age.

8. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'll see if I can get a picture of them tomorrow in order of laying so you all can get a clearer picture.

9. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
  10. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wow! That's a whole lot of information! But very helpful. With my girls, since it was just one day, so far, I will assume it was a fright or stress. If it keeps happening I'll investigate further.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by