Eggs getting smaller

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boersmamrs, Oct 23, 2014.

1. boersmamrs

boersmamrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2014
    My pullet has been laying for about a month now. Her eggs are decreasing in size? Is it because winter is coming or is she getting too fat(She looks really healthy, really active and can fly with the best of em')? This is my first time with chickens so I don't know if it is normal or not.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Since she sounds healthy, I am going to guess that she lays an egg nearly every day. It seems to me the ones that don't lay every day have larger eggs. And the ones who lay often lay their largest after a skipped day or so and they get some smaller with each succeeding day. If that's your case, then I think it's normal.

I am still learning too and will wait to see what the wiser folks say.

3. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Hmm. She usually lays every other day... So I don't know.

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Speaking from my experience with my first flock (second flock is getting ready to start laying soon), I found that all of the hens laid eggs of varying sizes. Sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller and occasionally REALLY small or REALLY big! Sometimes they would lay double or triple yolk eggs. Now that they have all that ironed out, they mostly lay medium to large eggs, when they aren't molting. So, I would not worry about it too much unless you see something wrong with your birds.

5. boersmamrs

Sep 25, 2014
    Ok, thanks. It was mostly curiosity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by