Eggs go into lockdown tonight!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tegan, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Tegan

Tegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    In an hour or so I'm going to put my eggs into lock down. This is my first time hatching eggs. Jumbos and Texas A&M, 15 of each. Excited and nervous! Hope everything "comes out" ok hehehe.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Good luck with your hatch!

(Make sure all vents are wide open and humidity up around 65% or 70%)

3. Tegan

Tegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Waiting is just absolute murder! I think I've checked them every hour since I put them in lock down lol!

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, waiting is brutal! They just love to drive you crazy, don't they? [​IMG]

5. Tegan

Tegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    They are hatching! They are hatching!!! I woke up this morning to shaking and some starting to pip. One for sure has a good hole in it now! So stinking excited!!! Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have a bunch of baby quail!

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!! Don't panic when this one that pipped sits there not doing anything for 24+ hours. Sometimes they take a long time after pipping to zipping, being busy absorbing the last of the egg yolk.

Keep us posted!!

7. Tegan

Tegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    At 9pm I went to check on them and no progress had been made...I was going to go to bed just now (12:30am) and decided to check them "one last time." And wouldn't you know it 15 out of 30 had hatched! I waited around shooting video and taking pics while 2 more hatched (bringing it up to 17). Looks like a few more even will hatch. I know there are at least 2 duds in there, just didn't bother to pull them.

For my first hatch EVER I'm super excited to get even just 17! We'll see what the morning brings!

My 6 year old is going to simultaneously be super super excited they hatched and really really bummed out that she missed it!

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the great hatch!! [​IMG]

9. Tegan

Tegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm pretty sure there are a few more in there then last night. And I'm pretty sure everyone that was going to hatch has hatched. Just waiting for the brooder to come up to temp and I'm going to move them all over. I'll get a final head count then.

I did end up waking up my daughter last night at 1am so she could see one of them hatch out. It was like waking the dead, and she fell asleep again immediately afterwards...but it was the first thing she talked about this morning so I'm glad I did it!

1 person likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, definitely worth getting up in the middle of the night to watch them hatch. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by