Eggs. Gone for the weekend Question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 24, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, we are going camping this weekend and have not had any eggs yet as the hens are 16 weeks. But, in the unlikely event they happen to lay this weekend while we are gone will they eat the egg if it sits too long? Should I have someone come over and check for eggs? We leave lots of food and water and when we come home on Sundays there is always some still left. So my concern is only for the eggs.
    What would you guys suggest. Don't worry about it, or have someone check?
    Thanks

2. Alabama_boy

Alabama_boy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Lancaster County, SC
    They should be ok.[​IMG]

3. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    I would have someone check to be sure. If they accidently step on one they will eat it. Egg eating is a hard habit to break I have been told. Tell whoever to keep the eggs as an incentive.

Chris

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I would have someone check on them. Better to be safe and if yours are like mine, they laid their first eggs all over the coop and run. (even though I had made them brand new nesting boxes)

Anne

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I suspect, at 16 weeks they probably won't be laying for at least another couple of weeks, and you will have nothing to worry about.

Of course they are chickens, so watch them prove me wrong...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by