Eggs got cold, on hatch day.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    A friend brought over two eggs from his broody hen. They were due to hatch on Friday. The hen hatched out one chick and stopped setting on the remaining two eggs. When he brought the eggs over they were pretty cold. The temperature outside is 64* F. I placed them inside my miniature greenhouse while I set up the incubator. I placed them in the bator when the temperature in the incubator was about 80*, and it has since warmed up to about 98.

When he brought them over I immediatley candled them to see if they were worth starting up the incubator for. One egg appears to have a chick inside, the other one may or may not. It was hard to see through the shell. Air sac appears to be the correct size. It is unknown if they are alive or not.

My question is, What temperature can these eggs withstand and still survive? How many days should I give them?
    These eggs are a few days past their due day (Hatch day was Friday). I have 1 bantam and 1 standard sized egg.

Thank you.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I think it was in January that one of my Serama hens got broody in a cage out in the workshop. One evening, I realized that she had one chick hatched, and a couple more eggs were pipped and cheeping. The next morning, when I went out to check, the hen was off the nest, the one chick was dead, two more were hatched and lethargic, and the remaining two eggs in the nest were cold and silent. The temperature was in the 30's. Having learned with my rabbits that "they aren't dead, 'til they're warm and dead," I rushed the chicks and eggs into the incubator. The one chick was indeed dead, but the other two perked up rapidly in the warmth of the incubator. Amazingly, the two remaining eggs hatched later that day.

Which is a long way of saying that I don't think the temperature significantly affected your two eggs. I really would have expected them to have hatched by now though, provided that the hen started setting on all of the eggs on the same day. [​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you!
    You just reminded me that one of the eggs were set a couple days later then the other two. So that would make today day 20 or 21 for one of the eggs and day 23-24 for the other egg.

I candled the two eggs last night and the bantam egg has a chick inside. The chick was very active!
    The other egg may not have a chick inside. It is hard to tell for sure. But both eggs air sac's are on time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by