1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs got cold when broody got up--will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by claraserena, Jun 8, 2007.

1. claraserena

claraserena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Well after posting last night that we had successfully moved our broody to her own little house, I got a surprise. I'm pretty sure she sat on them all night. AT 6am I looked out and she was off the eggs, walking arund the pen all puffed out. The eggs were no longer warm. I moved them back in her old spot in the coop and she got right one them. Guess she wants to stay there so I'll let her.
    What are the odds these eggs will be alright?--this is day 15. I've thought of putting some laid yesterday under her, (marking them), so if this batch doesn't hatch she would be on some others. but would this be too long for her to be broody (for her health?)

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Don't be surprised if they hatch. You have to remember you are feeling the surface temperature on the shell and not the internal temperature of the egg. Personally I would give her a break after this batch and wait for her to decide when to brood again.

Many hens do not eat properly while brooding. I have some that I would not hesitate doing exactly what you suggested because I know they take the time to eat well and will regularly get off the nest to browse. Others I would not do it to because I know their conditioning goes downhill while brooding.

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie hen did the same and was accidently locked out away from her eggs for 1/2 a day on day15. the wind shut the door!!!However they all hatched successfully. dont give up hope.
    Good luck

4. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    Thank you! I did decide not to add any eggs--I am hopeful that some will hatch from the eggs she's on. The due date is next Thursday--I'll let you know!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The only thing I would ask about on your countdown is are you sure you are counting from when she actually started brooding the eggs or when she started laying? You want to count from the start of brooding.

6. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    I'm counting from the day she started sitting on these eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by