1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs got cold will thay have problems?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepsthebrassy, Feb 23, 2015.

1. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    My eggs are 5 days old on day four they got to 60 and 78 digress cold will they have problems when they hatch or will they even hatch? They I think are still developing.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If it was only for a short period of time they should fine. It would be just like mother hen getting off the nest. It's far better for them to have gotten a little cool rather than too hot which can kill embryos off quickly. I would leave them for a few days and candle to check on development.

Good luck with them :thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    thank you they were cold for a night. I brought the incubator form outside, changed the bulb(the bulb was 60w I changed it to 40w) and closed the vent holes to increase the temp. they got too cold because it snowed hear and my mom at the time would not let me bring it in(The pipes froze that is why she let me being it in so we can use the plug in fore the well house.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by