Eggs hatching but hen smothering them HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildivy2112, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    I currently have two hens with eggs hatching today. The larger girls first hatch. I was going on the idea that you don't look under them until enough time for all to hatch. The first finally appeared yesterday afternoon. Just now I decided to look under her as I still only saw the one chick all day. What I found was not good. Many eggs had tried to hatch but were smothered and babies dead. There was a little survivor who was still wet. I removed the mess and took some of the eggs and put under another hen who has been sitting on one egg for about a week. I put some of problem hens eggs back with her and also the two live chicks. I have a third hen who has at least six hatched out and they are great, mom still has a few remaining eggs. Should I remove the surviving chicks and put them in a brooder or give them to the other mom who is doing good? I'm afraid more babies are going to be smothered if I leave them with the hen who seems to be unaware of what is going on underneath her.

2. dmanhefner

dmanhefner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    Try to put them under a good mom at night, brooder if she wont take them

3. Wildivy2112

Wildivy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Thank you. I've been so confused. Don't think I want to do this again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by