Eggs Hatching Early! New Duckling! Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sowellj, Oct 26, 2009.

1. sowellj

sowellj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Two of our 3 duck eggs that are due this Wednesday have started to hatch. Only one has broken through the shell. His bill is sticking out and he is chirping. He seems to be upside down. Is this normal? The middle one has a tiny,tiny crack in the middle, barely visible. You can see the air sack through the egg. Can someone please tell me how to download pictures so someone can tell me if these two look ok? They are in a classroom and will be alone until the am.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:To upload photos, first take a pic and then click uploads- link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploadimg.php
    Make
    sure your camera is plugged in and click browse. Find the photo you are looking for and click 'Open'. You can resize the image if you like. Click 'Upload'. When you pic has finished uploading, click on the 'Image' link, under the photo. Copy it, and then paste it onto a post. It should appear when you post it.

One reason for early hatching is temperature that is too high. What type of incubator do you have? What have the temps been

good luck,

eggsrcool [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

4. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    It is a small R-Com mini. The digital read out has been 37. I checked it several times and it has been right at 99. I opened it today and placed the eggs on a hatching tray with a shelf liner on it. I also put some warm wet cotton balls in the incubator. I was never able to get a good humidity reading because of the size of the incubator. I will try to download the pictures.

5. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I use the R-Com mini also. It controls the humidity on its own, so there shouldn't be any need for the cotton wall balls, unless you know the humidity is too low, but with the water compartment full, you may notice it 'drinks' the water much faster.
    My R-Com has never had any temp problems when left alone, unless when I candle in which case it drops a degree or two. What breed of duck are they?

Sending good vibes for beautiful healthy babies [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

6. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    [​IMG][img

Here is the egg with the large looking air cell. I don't really know what is should be like. This egg was moving alot last week.

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Is it moving now- has it 'pipped'? Do you know the breed of duck they are? 2 days early isn't a huge jump, my chicks tend to hatch a day early. As long as they are healthy and have no deformations, then all should be well [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

8. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is the one breaking through. He seems to be upside down. When I opened the incubator and placed the tray down he was chirping alot.

If he breaks out tonight or when someone is not around will he be able to stand up in here? Do you leave them in the R-Com until dry? It seems so small. They are Rouens that were shipped to me.

9. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by