1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs hatching, how long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfishfam, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Our duck eggs that we thought might be dead are alive and my son heard a pip:)[​IMG] We have put them on the floor of the incubator (per instructions in incubator manual), put water in a small dish, and spritzed them with warm water. How long should it take them to hatch and should we continue to spritz them to make sure there is enough moisture?

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    They can take a day or two to hatch. Don't open the bator. If there is good humidity in there, they will be fine. If you need more, try to add water with a tube from the top if its a hovabator. Opening the incubator will mess with the humidity and they might get stuck and not make it. I made this mistake with my first round of hatching duck eggs. All was fine and I just couldn't keep my nose out of the incubator and paid for it. I felt terrible. Lockdown, means you close it and leave it till they are out.

3. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    That's what we'll do. Thanks, this is all new territory for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by