Eggs hatching like microwave popcorn! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 202roosterlane, Sep 21, 2011.

1. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    OKAY yesterday morning when my granddaughter woke up we had chicks popping out everywhere in the bator. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] One here, then [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] three at a time and so on. Till finally about 11 pm last night the last one wanting to hatch, hatched for a total of 22 chicks!!!! One died (born without and eye end eye opening and sunken head/brain. [​IMG] I have 7 more in lockdown to hatch tonight. [​IMG] I am exhausted but so happy!!!! [​IMG] Most of these were from HOT2POT [​IMG] here on BYC and a few were mine. I now have 31 living. I had 10 from 2 weeks ago in the bathtub. I have another 31 eggs in the turning bator, but then I am DONE raising babies for the winter. My husband is in shock and can't stop laughing. [​IMG] My granddaughter thinks it's Christmas. [​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the White Plymouth rocks, RIRs, Barred Plymouth Rocks, I think a Amerucana (suprise egg given to me). Plus to full gow chickens in the runs, we now have 53 chickens. Hmmm but only 6 houses and runs.....

Lets see
    #1 run - RIRs
    #2 run - Barred Rocks
    #3 run - New Hampshire Red hens
    #4 run - Bantam Calico Millie Fleur Cochin pair
    #5 run - White crested Blue Polish pair
    #6 run - Bearded Millie Fleur D'Uccle and a his very young hen and a red frizzle.

So I need a run for the - Silver Phoenix and Golden Phoenix baby chicks (will have to be seperated before willy nilly time)
    - White Plymouth rocks
    - Amerucana

WILL POST NEW PICS OF ALL OF THEM TONIGHT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] congrats! [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about the one that didn't make it, though.
    One day I may try my hand at incubating...everyone else seems to enjoy the anticipation!

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow - that's an amazing turnout! And they're all so cute!
    Congratulations -

4. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:Im telling you now..You start...You wont stop..its an addiction!

5. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Thank you. Here's new pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Hot2Pot's eggs are great, she sent me 18 all the way to california (from nc or tn, can't remember), 12 made it to lockdown (i dropped the thermometer on one, its like a little brick). I have 4 chicks and 5 more pips and its just day 21 now.

7. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG]

CONGRATS.................... [​IMG]

8. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Im so jealous!! I wish mine would hatch like popcorn!! Congrats on the new darling chickies!

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Wow! How exciting! I incubated this Spring, but made some mistakes. [​IMG] Only hatched 4 out of 16. I think 11 were viable up until the end. It is neat! Although I hatched out more roosters than hens!

10. 202roosterlane

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Thank you everyone. It was so awesome! Trust me, I have made mistake before too. But I have learned to trust the advice on here and don't handle them so much, don't open and close the bater so much. Check temp and humidity (alllllllll the time). There a bunch more do's and don't's. Not candleing them too much is the hardest. Just let the good Lord take over and BAM......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And to think I stayed up two- three night in a row last month tying to watch one hatch and this time I barely had time to get a cup of coffee. I will buy eggs from HOT2POT before I buy from a hatchery. Her eggs are awesome! Okay their eggs are great too. But I am really proud of hers. [​IMG] [​IMG]. Good luck on all of ya'll's chickies too! Will update pics in a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by