Eggs hatching now - possible distress?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyShred, Jan 24, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Hello,

I have been incubating silkie eggs for 3 weeks now (today is day 22 . . .) and they finally began peeping this morning. One of which is VERY active, and has been rolling his/her egg all over the incubator, but there's no pip hole. He is very, very loud and can't seem to get a hole started. He responds to the sound of my voice and peeps frantically. I've refrained from opening the top to keep the humidity in so he could hatch, but it's now 4:30 and he's been rolling everywhere since 7:00 this morning. There are two other eggs that are also movng and peeping, but aren't as "crazy."

The temp is constant between 99.5-100.5 and my humidity reader malfunctioned 2 days ago, but I have filled all the trays required with water in hopes it would be enough.

What should I do? The chick is very active and I'm worried he is in distress. It is just normal or has anyone else experienced this? I am kinda new . . .

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Although the chick is very active you may need to assist the chick in the hatch, energy is some thing that you want to see in chicks to show somewhat good health.

3. chickidydoodaa

chickidydoodaa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    i agree, i would put a small hole in it

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    With a humidity malfunction you may have to help him out. The only thing is you will not know where to put the hole. They will not be able to finish it if its not in the right spot. You would need to do everything. I had to help two last night. Unfortunately, sometimes they are just week and dont make it. I know how stressful it is waiting. I just hatched a showgirl batch and they were also on day 22. Same temp and everything. I dont know. It just is. Please keep us updated. Mine were like a dry hatch. The membrane was so thick I had to open it for them. I had a humidity malfunction too. Best wishes to you.
    jeanmarie

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would leave them alone. Sometimes they move a lot trying to get into the right position to pip.... Once they've pipped...after 24 hrs....maybe assist...but not yet.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree...leave them alone. Most times you do more harm than good by trying to help.

7. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't want him to suffocate, butI don't want to wait until it's too late. How long can they breathe in the shell without a hole? I have helped courntnix quail hatch in the past and I know that breaking the membrane before they are ready is BAD BAD BAD. It will be all my fault if the little guy bleeds to death.

Is it normal for them to take 22-23 days to hatch? Or peep and try to pip for several hours (this would be the 9th hour) with no luck. The temp hasn't been any lower than 98.0 degrees (I caught it trying to lower several times and quickly adjusted). This is only my second batch and I have researched like crazy and made all the stops to make sure they are at their healthiest.

It just pulls at my heartstrings to hear the baby peeping so much. I want to help so bad but I have refrained so he could do it himself, as I have read it matures them better to hatch on their own.

Or I could be completely mental by this point . . . and maybe I just need to relax. *sigh*

Thanks everyone!!

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If the temp has been at 98 it could have slowed the development a little...24 days is not unheard of. As for suffocating...the shell is porous. That's how the embryo gets oxygen throughout the whole incubation.

I'm sure they'll be fine [​IMG] Just step away from the bator! [​IMG]

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

You might consider stabilizing the egg so that it can't roll around. Under a hen the eggs are held in place while the chicks pip and zip. This gives them some leverage.

10. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    If you help you invite all kinds of problems. The worst being the attatchment to the chick when it dies. Helping is an often times discussed topic and there are pros and cons. I lost control of humidity a couple of times and when the day came that I saw any sign of life in the eggs I misted them with warm water. I don't recommend doing that if you have pip holes but if you don't it can't hurt. Just a light mist though... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by