Eggs Hatching... Questions! Who's got the answers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sugroxz, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I put my eggs in the incubator on the 31st of March in the evening.. Well today should be the day they hatch and so far nothing! How long would you give them before you say they are no good? This is our very first time incubating eggs and so everything is new to us.. I''ve turned them twice a day and made sure the temps was right and they had enough water.. I candled them and thought that I seen something but really didn't know what I was looking for.. I figured this would be a neat experience for my 5 year old daughter and so far she is pretty disapointed! :eek:/ Any help or suggestions would be appreicated..
    Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We need alot more information:

What are your temps?

What is your humidity?

What breed are these? (some can take their time)

What kind of incubator are you using?

3. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:I agree we need more info.

4. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    The eggs are just mixed breed chickens.. We have 10 hens and 2 roosters that we just get eggs off of.. None the same breed. The temp we keep at 99.5 and the humidity I don't have a clue cause the the thermometer doesn't read it.. And our incubator is a Little Giant Egg Incubator..

5. debilorrah

Quote:Ok you have two issues. No hygrometer (go to Petco, they are cheap) and you have the LG bator. LG's CAN be good, but they seem to be a real hit and miss. One can be great and function perfectly and the next 3 are horrible.

I am going to assume that you have one that is not performing optimally, and say they should hatch in 1-2 more days. Be aware of the room you have the bator in. With LG's they need to be in a draft free room. Preferably one where people are not constantly in and out.

6. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Well you should be on "lock down" now so no more turning and try and raise the humidity in there with some wet sponges until you see a mist in the viewing windows. So today will be your day 21 and if you have a still air (no fan) you may have had cool spots so they may take a day or two longer.

Also which therm are you using? If it is the one that came with the LG its junk and might be reading wrong.

If none of them are pipping then I would suggest taking some out and looking for the air cells on the top of the egg to see how developed they are. You may actually see a little beak peaking into one of the cells. There is a great sticky thread up at the top of this section for candling to see what the air cells should look like.

I hope that helps and good luck

also [​IMG]

7. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
  8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    1 you do not 'need' a hygrometer, I hatched get for 4 years without one, and only have one to show visitors what the humidity is and explain why its important to have water in the 'bator.

9. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:Ok you have two issues. No hygrometer (go to Petco, they are cheap) and you have the LG bator. LG's CAN be good, but they seem to be a real hit and miss. One can be great and function perfectly and the next 3 are horrible.

I am going to assume that you have one that is not performing optimally, and say they should hatch in 1-2 more days. Be aware of the room you have the bator in. With LG's they need to be in a draft free room. Preferably one where people are not constantly in and out.

What should the humidity be inside the incubator? What is the best incubator to have? Would it help if I got a fan for it? Or possibly an egg turner?

10. debilorrah

Quote:Personally, I agree. This is a newbie though and having one, especially an accurate one offers a sense of relief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by