Eggs hatching soon. Will mama be able to regulate chicks temp?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crimsonmama, Jan 18, 2017.

1. crimsonmama

crimsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    Heya! Quite exciting! My coturnix female is almost to hatching day! She started sitting properly on the eggs when she had seven eggs in the nest. Carried on laying until she had eleven. So if I count day one from the seven eggs then tomorrow is day 14! When she was off the nest on a break I held a couple of her eggs to my ear and I could hear pecking and feel movement inside.

She is indoors in a pen I made up in my bedroom as upstairs is warmer than downstairs. I hatched some quails last weekend from an incubater and they are also in my room! They have a heated blanket folded over to keep warm in and are doing well. They can choose to go in it or run around a smaller pen lined with kitchen towel.

My question is when the females chicks hatch will she keep them warm enough like the heat blanket does for my incubated chicks? Is there anything else I need to do or know about concerning mama-reared chicks compared to incubated hatched ones? Does the same rules apply about water with marbles in to stop chicks drowning? Will they dry off ok with mama around? I don't have heat lamps but they are indoors? Room temp is about 27°c when I don't have my heating on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They will be plenty warm with the house being 27C and having mama to snuggle under. Having mama raise them is much easier than raising them yourself. She will teach them and take care of them, show them where food and water is, and so on. You can put marbles in there but make sure she can get water. Between her and the heated blanket they will be fine. I personally do not use heat lamps, just heating pads. The chicks dry off and know how to regulate their temps on their own.

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I completely agree with Sun. Mama could keep them warm in 17 C, I'd worry more about mama being too warm than the chicks being too cold in 27 C :p Obviously, if mama proves to be a bad mom and won't let them sit under her, 27 C is not enough, but as long as she does what she's supposed to, there is no issue.
    I'm at day 16 with my buttons in my living room now (counting the day after she spent the first night on the eggs as day 1), but last time the chicks didn't hatch till day 18, so I might have to wait a bit more. Probably 23 C in here and that is plenty. The chicks are usually dry before I even get my first glimpse of them - mommy tends to sit very tight just around hatch time.
    I do use marbles for my buttons, but last time I didn't get the marbles before they were a day or two old and they did just fine. But the water level in their little fountain is probably only about 5 mm, plus the fact that it's a fountain and not a dish makes them less likely to walk in the water (I did see one doing it though but the water didn't reach its down, only the legs got wet). Just use the marbles and you'll be safe.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I never use marbles, just a quail waterer, but I hatch chicks not quail so I didn't want to suggest not bothering with marbles. I'm glad someone with experience in that chimed in! lol

5. crimsonmama

crimsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    Thank you for the replies! I found with my incubated chicks I only needed the marbles in water for the first two days then they started drinking so much that they now have two bird water bottles! Only reason I didn't use those straight away was because I didn't know if they would find them and know how to drink. With the marble in a bottle cap I could place them around and the marble attracted their attention and when they went to peck at it they found the water. Once they knew what water was it was fine moving to the bottles.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If you can get one to drink by dipping its beak, the others catch on quick and follow its lead. At least with chicks.

7. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    My Mama chicken kept her little ones warm enough outside when it got down into the 20s F. The little ones would run around, eat and drink. When they got cold they'd run to Mama and she's spread out her wings and warm them up for a couple minutes. Then the little ones would be off doing their own thing again.

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Isn't that the cutest, most wonderful thing to watch. I love watching my broodies with their babies!

9. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Yes!!! I was amazed at how she took care of and protected those little ones. The other hens, the geese, the ducks, and the kittens learned to stay far away from the chicks. The chicks were also taught to avoid the other critters. Now those chicks are nearly grown and should start laying soon. Luckily, out of 6 chicks only one is a cockerel.

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Wow! I always seem to get way too many cockerels, especially if I hatch from my own flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by