1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horseliver928, Apr 15, 2016.

1. horseliver928

horseliver928 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    I have eggs that are starting to hatch. How long does it normally take for them to completely hatch? I have one that keeps on shaking but has a little crack in it. Should I help it or let it hatch a little bit more before I help it? This is my first time hatching eggs

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    The first little crack is a pip. Sometimes they take a break.

It could be a few minutes to several hours. Before it starts to zip.

Zipping should be quick no more than a hour til it's hatched.

How long has it had the crack?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It can take up to a whole 24 hours between the first pip and the actual zip or it could only take a few. I don't interfere for at least 18 hours. If you try to assist before the egg's vascular system is shut down you can cause a perfectly healthy chick to bleed out. You also don't know if the yolk is fully absorbed. The decision to help is a hard one, but shouldn't be acted upon too soon.

4. horseliver928

Jun 16, 2014

The zipping has started on one egg and I helped it a little. I first noticed the pip around 3

5. horseliver928

Jun 16, 2014
    I wanted to update everyone on my chicks. The two cracked eggs have successfully hatched. One with my help and one by its self!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by