eggs hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AK_Button_Mama, Feb 14, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    ok I have eggs that are hatching.. I have a question since this is the first time I have ever hatched anything. once a chickie pips how long do I wait till I intervene? I had one that I decided to assist yesterday. when I tapped on the side of the egg most of them start to move and squirm well this one had been piped for 3 days. so I started to pick off a few pieces of shell and it was dead inside there. so because I was scared the other ones that had piped the same day were going to die I quickly did the same thing (there was one that was I swear dead but it came back.) I guess my question is this... how long do I wait to assist them... I have several more that are past due like one set is 5 days over due.... should I pip them? should I wait? I dont want my babies to die......

also I have 2 birdies that look wierd.. ones foot is turned how long should I wait till I splint that? and I have one that keeps laying on its back. I will set it upright it will flop over on to its back almost immediatly! what is that? why does he do this? is there soemthign I can do to fix this? or help it? is it going to die?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm calling you right now... [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Couldn't get through on your cell... left a message at home...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by