Eggs Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k9jms, Jan 3, 2013.

1. k9jms

k9jms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I posted on here last night about not knowing if my chickens eggs were viable and it turns out when I went to candle them one had just hatched out. My question is now how long will she continue sitting on the other eggs? So far the one I saw is the only one that has hatched, and she is sitting on at LEAST 4 other eggs. Is it to late for any of the other eggs to hatch or is is normal for the eggs to hatch at different times? I am sorry for sounding so simple but I really am just nervous and do not want to do anything wrong.
    Thank you for your times,
    Rachel

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Give it a good 24 hours from the first chick hatched at least , she will eventualy get up and take the chick to food and water and stuff. Congrats

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How did the hatch turn out? [​IMG]

If they didnt hatch you can candle and tap and if no pips, movement or external pips float test before tossing all this info and when to do so is in an article here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It's normal for them to hatch at different times. She will naturally give them an appropriate amount of time before getting up to leave them.

HOWEVER, if there's a chance that other hens were laying in the nest after she began to sit, then you may have eggs that are less developed but still viable, and she may abandon them before they're done.

If there's a chance this is the case, then you'll want to candle the remaining eggs as soon as she gets up off of them. If they're viable, be ready with a method to incubate them, unless you're okay with them dying (and some folks are--no judgment in that--if you don't have a method to incubate, it may be your only choice).

Congrats on your baby!!

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    EXACTLY!! I bet more hatched already!!!

6. k9jms

k9jms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    My one baby is doing fantastic. Mamma hen is still sitting on the eggs. Once is in the process of trying to hatch as I type. I candled the remaining eggs and 3 of them still look viable and since mamma is still happy to sit I am allowing her to continue. I am thinking about making a homemade incubator encase she decides that she is done. The one that is trying to hatch is having some problems right now. It pipped "think that is what it is called" last night sometime. around 5:00 today I still saw no progress at all. No zipping, NOTHING. The mom had decided that she was changing where she sat at and left this egg and a few others exposed to the cold.The baby was hardly making any sounds at that point. I read on here how to help a chick out so I pulled the egg and removed some of it, giving it more room to do its thing. I placed it back in with mamma almost 2 hours ago and there has not been anymore change. The baby is making more sounds and moving more so I am hoping that she will be able to free herself without more interference from me. I am going to give it a little more time before I do anything else. Anyone else have any opinions about what I should do?

7. k9jms

k9jms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Sorry to be PM you but you posted on my post on eggs hatching and I am hoping that you can help me out. I Just posted on my eggs hatching that I think that an egg is having problems hatching out. I helped peel some of the egg off and then put it back under the mamma but after 2 hours the baby still has not made any progress. I do not know if I need to help more, or wait. Any opinion or suggestions would help.
    [​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    I will go see the thread ...

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Start reading when to help first..... do you have a pic? how far have you helped? sometimes once you start to assist and go too far you need to do it for them.... but it takes ALOT OF patients and time....

again how far and what time did you help? AND HOW DID YOU HELP?

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    It had been 24 hours since the chick pipped externally. It never zipped at all. Just the one tiny hole where the beak how poked first. I would say I pulled back 1/3 of the egg. her head is cleared but still curled up, and one of her legs is exposed but still curled. I moistened the membrane with warm water on a q-tip because it appeared to be dried. While I was working I encountered a small bit of blood so I stopped what I was doing and placed her back under mamma. That was over 2 hours ago now.

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    Oh and I used a blunt tipped set of tweezers like the instructions on the article stated and STOPPED the moment I saw the small amount of bleeding. Should I give it more time or try to help more?

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    I would give her time, but this is terriible hard under a broody... do you have a lamp and thermometer you can set up above a plastic tub free from drafts and get that temp a steady 99 - 100 degrees? if you can hold that steady by placing in a room that has little temp flux you should move her there and keep her membrane wet but clear of her beak.... if you saw blood she IS NOT NEAR ready.... did you notice the duck in a cup on that article I made? you should do this with her so she cant push out prematurely and have navel issues and yolk sack unabsorbed....

See when you see that first pip.... thats ONLY when they begin to acclimate and breath, it can take alot longer for them to hatch on their own.... if you notice on that artile there is ALOT to absorb, if you rush you will kill them gauranteed, thats why I wrote the article!! I worry about this chicks warmth and bacteria under the hen like this.....

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm
    Thank you so much. I will set up a warm spot for her. Yes I did see that picture and that's what I will do if that happens. Again thank you so much.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    Ok I am going to send you another link that is also in that article as you may have navel issues now, and possible orthopedic.... but make sure you read through the assist guide first!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    Hey, I set up the area and went to get the chick and she hatched out already. nothing hanging out or exposed that I could see, she is just wet so I put her back under the mamma. Is that okay or should I still put her under the lamp?

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    Her navel is good?? OH YAYYAYYAY!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! LEAVE HER WITH MOMMA!!

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    she seemed active?

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm
    yes, she was kicking and chirping. I think that her navel is closed because I did not see anything hanging out at all and I looked close because I just new that I killed her. I am a huge animal lover. I had read a different article previous to yours and that is why I help her out to soon I think. Once I read yours I was in a panic, it would have broken my heart if I was responsible for the death of a baby.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 9:21 am
    what article did u read first? I am so glad she hatched! how is she today??

I made the article so "visual" because we get so many people that need help AFTER they ripped the egg to shreds... I just hope the article can save a few peeps!

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 9:25 am
    I read an article/post under raising and hatching eggs. Your article is FAR better and I wish that I would have seen it first. She is doing good today. Standing on her own, but still preferring to stay underneath her mamma. She has not attempted to eat yet, but the first chick that hatched did not eat for about a day. The new one seems smaller than the first one did. I will be keeping a very close eye on her and pray that she does not have any problems.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 9:44 am
    Awesome. So her toes and legs are good and straight and walking fine? Good for you!! what state are you but I dont know too much about hens raising chicks in the winter but perhaps it would be better to raise them indoors in a brooder? Cold worries me! not sure your area or really about hens care in winter... I am sure you can ask on here or look it up too! I raise all my chicks inside, havent had a broody in winter yet, but I still am paranoid so I would steal them lol and be broody momma myself!

Oh the article, in this website? curious I would love to read it if you can find the link again?

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 9:51 am
    I will look for the link to that other article/post I read. I took the mamma hen out of my coop and moved her into my garage and provided her with a heat lamp just to make sure that she/the babies do not get to cold. The mamma hen is a bantam EE and I have a VERY hateful standard RIR hen that I was worried would kill the babies the first chance she had. I live in NC and its cold here right now. Temps in the high 20's-30 in the mornings warming up to around 50 in the afternoon. I was shocked to see that she actually went broody in the first place, and then when I candled the eggs the first time I did not see anything, "I had no idea what I was doing", I figured that they were duds but I kept them just encase. I am HAPPY that I did not toss them. The mamma is still sitting on 3 more eggs. I candled them 2 nights ago and they look good still. One of the EE eggs looks like it has a dark shape at one end and an air sack at the other so I am assuming that one will hatch soon. The other 2 are standard hen eggs and look like they have something developing in them but are not as far along as the other. I am trying to get one of my friends incubators because I know the hen HAS to be tired of sitting on eggs. She has been doing this for over a month now, which is starting to worry me.

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 9:56 am
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

That is what I read before I saw your article. Like I said your article is FAR more educational and informative.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 10:01 am
    oh crud! ok that is byc sticky on it! I am learning fast that that article is missing something, I will go read it again!

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 4:31 pm
    Well I just wanted to update you on the new baby. She stands up and tries to walk but falls sideways or backwards. I looked up spraddle leg but she does not look like any of those pictures. Her legs are not splayed to the side at all. Do you have any idea of what this could be or anything that I should try?

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:37 pm
    hmmmm nope I will go read as well.... did you pull them and bring into the house? watch mom dont kill her if she is not right...

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 4:42 pm
    No, they are still with the mamma hen in my garage. The mamma does not seem to pick up that there is a problem with the baby. She keeps her warm and watches over her and the other the same when they try to venture out from her to go the the food bowl. The baby is eating and drinking perfectly, and trying to play with the other one and pecking at mom. The only problem is being off balanced and flipping/falling over easy.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:47 pm
    I would give her a bit yet, maybe add some electrolytes to her water, or sugar water maybe. I always keep that Save A Chick on hand... its cheap at TSC. but just a little brown sugar in the water or even childrens pedilyte and I heard others use gatoraid too.... see if this helps.... I am reading and I cant find anything either, except vitamin deficiency

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:50 pm
    Physical Therapy for Trouble Standing and Walking https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

• Use to treat Splayed Leg or other problems with chick holding legs incorrectly.
      • Can be done even while chick is wearing Leg Hobbles.
    • Helps the chick "practice" walking correctly. The main purpose is to reprogram its brain patterns, but therapy also helps develop needed muscles.
      • It is better for a chick to spend time sitting or lying down than using its legs wrong.
    • Support chick's body a little while gently pointing its legs forward and extended like they should be while standing. Try to lessen your support of its body for a moment or two and hopefully it will push up with its legs and find out that leg angle and position is a good one for balancing.
      • If it's 5+ days old, you can also hold up a treat above its head to encourage it to increasingly push up with its legs to grab the treat. It's okay the chick's legs and balance will be wobbly at first and that it falls over sometimes--just catch and steady it with your hands.
        • Good treats: Very small piece of bread, tomato, strawberry, banana, lettuce, spinach, grass, etc.
          • Be sure to add a bit of chick-sized grit (tiny stones or coarse sand) to chick's diet if offering treats.
    • Gradually progress to using your fingers around its legs to move/step them forward one at a time so the chick learns to take steps and walk correctly.
    • Number of sessions for newly hatched chick:
      • Days 1-3: Minimum of six 30-second to 2 minute sessions per day.
      • Days 4-5: Minimum of nine 1 to 3 minute sessions per day.
      • Days 6-7: As needed.

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 4:50 pm
    That is all I have been able to come up with also. I have some electrolytes so I will go and add that to the water. I just do not understand how a chick that's only 1 day old could have a vitamin deficiency.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:51 pm
    Chick Doughnut

• Used for injured chicks and chickens that are having problems staying upright.
    • Twist a soft washcloth or similar cloth into a coil and place it in the brooder in the shape of a doughnut. Place the injured chick in the "doughnut" hole and adjust the doughnut so its body is supported.
    • Remove the chick and "fluff up" and reshape the cloth once or twice a day to help prevent the chick from developing "bedsores."
      • I haven't tried it, but sprinkling a little baby powder on the places where the chick's body rubs might also help.
    Chick Playpen

• Used for chicks that are having leg problems or other problems tipping over.
    • The Playpen helps in treating Splayed Leg by restricting sideways travel, and encouraging chick to push up with legs and develop correct muscles. It also helps keep the chick from getting picked on or trampled by others, while allowing it to still interact some.
    • A chick being put in a Playpen to treat Splayed Leg needs to also wear Leg Hobbles.
    • Place a 16-oz. plastic container (such as the smaller ones used for cottage cheese) in the brooder a couple inches further from the heat lamp than the other chicks are staying. There the chick won't be too hot or too cold.
      • Caution: If the temperature in the room will vary a lot during the day, you should NOT leave the chick in the Playpen unless you will be there to move the Playpen nearer or further from heat lamp to adapt.
    • Place a soft cloth in the container. Crumple it so that there are high spaces and low spaces, where the chick can prop itself up.
    • Remove the chick and "fluff up" and reshape the cloth once or twice a day to help prevent the chick from developing "bedsores."
      • I haven't tried it, but sprinkling a little baby powder on the places where the chick's body rub might also help.
    • Another chick may occasionally climb in, too, and that is alright. When the recovering chick has built up enough leg strength, it will climb out of the playpen.
    Chick Chair

• CAUTION: A bird in a chair can drown if it drops its head forward into a water dish when going to sleep. See "Prevent Drowning in Water Dish" section.
    • Reposition the chicken slightly every so often to help prevent discomfort, chafing and "bedsores." Check chicken periodically for sores.
    • Used for injured chicks and chickens. Especially helpful during healing time after you put a slipped hock tendon back into place.
    • A variety of designs can be used.
    • Depending on design, chair keeps chick either from bearing much weight with legs and walking, or even being able to touch the ground with its legs or feet.
      • If your chicken is recovering from Slipped Hock Tendon, it is important the legs not reach the ground. The bird needs to hang with them bent and be discouraged from using its legs until the tendon has stretched and adjusted back to the right place and shape.
    • A plastic container or Kleenex box can be used for the base. Cut holes in the sides to allow you to see the legs to check that they haven't gotten caught in "seat" part of chair.
    • "Seat" part of the chair is like a sling or hammock, and should be lined with something soft-ish. Cut out a hole for each leg and a poop hole.
    • You may want to add a flap that fastens across the chick's back to keep it from being able to squirm out of the chair.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:53 pm
    I have to run for a bit, need to do haircuts... also check these out!!!

http://www.bluequaker.com/Art-037.htm

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/faqleg.htm

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/problems/

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 4:54 pm
    [​IMG]
    Another Ortho Success
    Posted by butchieOK on 6-27-07

I had a late hatch that was flowndered. laying on its side, cant stand up or walk, and just lays there kicking. made a ortho box like i had done for my goosling in a previous post. withing two hours he was staying on his feet without falling over. 4 hours was walking with the assistance of the sides of the box. 24 hours toes were streight and was able to stand and walk on his own. posting two pics. this is before we put him in rehab.

With keets so small i had to add a divider to get the box narrow enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Yesterday at 4:57 pm
    Amazing information. I am off to try some of these ideas. Thank you

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Yesterday at 5:37 pm
    [​IMG] please keep me informed of her progress and what you try!

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Today at 1:46 pm
    Hey Sally,
    I have GREAT news. The baby is doing FANTASTIC!! She is up and walking around now and no longer falling over. She is eating and drinking on her own and loving life as far as I can tell. I did the physical therapy with her and it seemed to do the trick. I really appreciate all the advice that you have given to me. I am completely new to chickens so this is all a learning experience for me.

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Today at 1:57 pm
    Awwww YAY!!! Good for the little peepers!! ANd stress off you!!! CONGRATS!! Now I want a picture!!! YAY!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sally Sunshine

Today at 1:58 pm
    oh maybe we should copy & paste this conversation in your thread to help others?

[​IMG]
    k9jms

Today at 2:17 pm
    I will take a picture and send it to you tomorrow. I do think that it would be a GREAT idea to copy and past this to my thread. I think that it can help people who are like me and feel lost sometimes when it comes to chickens.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    YAY!! So glad to hear the second baby is a success! Thanks for sharing the thread. :)

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How are your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by