Eggs have a strong odor??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mattwojcik, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mattwojcik

mattwojcik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    i have a rhode island red that lays an egg every day. She is in a very clean coop and is a free range chicken. I feed her purina layena crumbles and use purina scratch grains. her eggs have a strong odor and flavor, mainly from the yolk. I love egss, but this is really strong smell and flavor. Almost like a fishy weird smell.

dont know what it is from or if it is just normal for a free range chicken egg...... [​IMG]

Matt

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Well, the Purina shouldn't do that unless it was badly mixed at the mill or something. Free-ranging on the other hand would definitely darken the yolk color if she's finding any green feed to eat. Have you been watching what she's foraging?

3. mattwojcik

Dec 21, 2010
    yeah, but cannot actually watch all day. Maybe the grass?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yeah, I'd bet she's eating something out there that's causing it. Good luck identifying it.... Do you know what wild onions or wild garlic look like, maybe???

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A while ago I was talking to some folks over in the Feeding & Watering Your Flock section of the forum about funky tasting eggs, specifically whether feeding fish meal to the flock would result in a weird taste to the eggs. Someone over there (sorry, I can't remember who it was) mentioned that any food sources (not just fish) rich in omega 3 fatty acids can lead to a fishy flavor in the eggs if given in excessive amounts. A lot of the darker green veggies are rich in omega 3. Maybe cut back on the free-range time a little bit? Moderating the amount of dark, green veggies she is taking in may straighten out the taste of her eggs.

Just a thought.

6. mattwojcik

Dec 21, 2010
    Not much in my yard, maybe the grass....

7. mattwojcik

Dec 21, 2010
    They have actually got worse. Almost not edible. The smell is pretty intense and the flavor is just weird now! We are not even eating them. I have confined them to their run, which is pretty large. I have a few rolls of sod in there and just dirt. I put plenty of scratch grains in there.

I dont know what to do.......

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Is it just the eggs from ONE chicken? Or do others have the same odor? If only one and the others are normal, maybe she has a problem with her digestion or egg production.

Quote:

9. mattwojcik

Dec 21, 2010
    I will find out today, my rhode island red was the only one laying until a few days ago. I will test both today again.

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Anything dead out there that they may have found?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by