1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs have an odor

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Bookworm chick, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I've just noticed this almost fishy odor the few days. I collect them daily and refrigerate them. There's no fish in the refrigerator that might pass the smell on to the eggs. I'm puzzled. Right now there's only three hens laying so we use the eggs up within the week they're laid. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    perhaps its something the hens are eating? are they getting treats of a certain kind? (puzzled).

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    hmm, how much cabbage or strong like veggies are they getting as treats? certain foods can transmit odours to your eggs but you will have to narrow down what it is they are eating.

here is a link that tells you more about eggs and issues that might arise or even shell problems. Good luck. Oh btw, are you feeding them fish meal or cod liver oil? maybe check the ingredients on your feed and see if it contains fish meal.

Ema

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/36/off-odours-and-flavours

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Are they eating flax seeds?

5. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Thanks Ema for the link. I bookmarked it.
    The feed is Purina Flock Raiser. They've been on this feed since day one. The only treats they get is a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds twice a day.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Stop using Flock Raiser for two weeks. Regular layer formula. By the time the two weeks is ending, if you notice the eggs have lost the smell, then you know it's the feed. Same with the seeds. Trial testing. You'll get right to the bottom of it. Simple.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Fred's Hens :

Stop using Flock Raiser for two weeks. Regular layer formula. By the time the two weeks is ending, if you notice the eggs have lost the smell, then you know it's the feed. Same with the seeds. Trial testing. You'll get right to the bottom of it. Simple.

Agreed.

Perhaps Purina has changed the formula/ingredients for Flock Raiser, or it could be the bag you have now, etc.​

8. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Could your hens have got into an onion patch? Flax seed, as a poster above mentioned, will make eggs taste fishy (although in the right quantity, flax does add omega-3 to the eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by