Eggs have blood on them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheReadyBoys, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    The last two days, I have noticed blood on one of the eggs. I have had this happen before, but usually just once. I don't know what chicken it is, either. Is there something I should do? Are the eggs bad or is the chicken sick? Please answer!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Check their vent area for mites. If there arnt any mites, it could be capillary worms causing the blood tinged eggs.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you have a rooster with your hens? It could be injury from an aggressively mounting rooster. If not, maybe she was injured some other way? A hard fall from the roost or nest area maybe? Another hen picking at her vent? Anything could cause bleeding to get on the egg.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    There is no rooster with the hens, and I haven't noticed any injuries. Maybe I will look again when I go to the barn.

5. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    No. This is nothing serious. This just means her vent had to stretch more in order to get the egg out, which means it probably tore a little. Happens with one of my girls quite often. Completely normal.

6. TheReadyBoys

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Ok thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by