Eggs have pipped - can i look at them under mom?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BLaBauve, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    My broody hen is on day 20 and 2 eggs have pipped. We only know this because she got up for a break and we saw the pips. She is now back on the eggs. Is it bad to look at the eggs from time to time? Will that screw up humidity? The Mom is fine with me moving her around to view her eggs. I usually pick up one leg and can see some of the eggs. Can I still do this while they're hatching??

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Personally I wouldn't. My experienced broodies sit tight for a good 48 hrs once hatching starts and don't get up to eat or defecate...I would assume there would be a reason they stick so tight to the nest.

Please post pics when they hatch!

Good luck!

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Well our girl got up earlier today that's how we saw the first 2 pips. We put her back on the nest. She now has 4 pips and I know that because I looked under her. I plan on leaving her be moving forward unless she gets off the nest again.

4. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I look under mine when they are hatching. I even took this pic yesterday. Almost zipped.
    [​IMG]

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok, great! I was scared I was drying the eggs out everytime I looked!

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    A hen will usually sit tight when the eggs are hatching to keep the humidity stable I certainly would not attempt to lift her due to my curiosity! not only does it usually upset the hen but it doesn't do the eggs any good either, you will soon see the chicks when she's up and about with them so just be patient [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by