1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs have stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by choopes, Nov 22, 2011.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I have 8 hens. I went off for 4 days, a few weeks back. I left plenty of food and water, but have always fed them every morning. After I came back after 4 days, there was food left, but the water was really dirty. Now they've all quit laying eggs. I feed plenty of laying mash (pellets). And set a timer to come on at 5, about an hour before dawn here. I even tried making the light come on 5 min earlier every few days. Still no eggs! One of my best layers, solid black hen, nest in the box, as if she's brooding, but no eggs. I've been trying to catch one of the roosters, who wonder around outside now, can not find where he goes at night to catch him. Do they need a roo to start back laying? What can i do to get them to lay eggs? I think last year they stopped laying in Jan. Now it's Nov. Should I just let them rest until next spring?
    Thanks!

2. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    No, they don't need a roo. How old are they? Maybe they are laying somewhere else?

3. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    Some are a year and a half, the others are 2 1/2 years old.I've looked other places and do not find any aggs.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Although you might not see visible signs of it, they are shutting down to rest. This often involves a moult as well. They cannot lay year 'round, year after year. They may not start up again until spring, even with the added light. They might start up again late January. Feed them well, water them well and wait. That's about all you can do.

Keep them confined for a week to be absolutely certain they really have shut down.

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Most of mine have about stopped laying, too. Most of them have recently molted and are just getting their feathers back, some have been broody, shorter days, etc. We do not have extra lighting. I do have some that are just now old enough to lay eggs, and they have been our best/only egg layers lately!

deb g

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Given the age and time of year, I think it could be molting. Are you seeing a lot of feathers?

Also, it could be water. Chickens don't like to drink dirty water and will just about quit drinking.
    After a week or two of steady clean water you may see an improvement.

I can have a full waterer they've kicked a little dirt into. They'll quit using it until I clean it.

7. dcouette

dcouette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Dryden, ON
    Mine have basically stopped laying as well...30 hens (they were chicks this Spring) and we were avaraging 20 - 25 eggs a day. And BOOM! We are down to 4 eggs per day. I have added they extra lighting and looked for signs of molting (no feathers that I can see). Hopefully they start laying again soon

8. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:I am new to chickens ( week 2) And am very suprised how much watter they drink. The first couple days i thought my water jug was leaking cause i did not think it would be posible for 2 chickens to drink that much. I go away most weekend in the summer i think i am going to add a few more water jugs for them.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Even a short period without water can have a negative impact on egg production.

10. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Wow, that is drastic. Mine were all chicks last spring too and I just started getting eggs the last few months. I'm getting more consistently every day. I thought it they were pullets they would lay right through the winter.....and I expect mine to. Maybe it's the breed you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by