1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs have to be shipped express?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Has anyone heard this. I shipped a dozen today in a medium flat rate box and the woman at the post office fussed with me that they HAD to be shipped express. I told her I've shipped a bunch already and nobody said that yet. I hope that ain't true. Bc I looked it up to send 6 eggs about a hour from where I live would cost 18 for express and 5 for priority

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    That's news to me. I always ship them priority.

Live birds have to be shipped Express not eggs! So maybe she is getting confused with the live bird requirements.

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Never heard that. Been shipping eggs for a couple years ALWAYS flat rate boxes.

Now, I do KNOW they will not honor a insurance claim on eggs... but they will be glad to take your $1.70 or whatever it is now. I offer a replacement for damaged eggs now.. no insurance.

4. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Eggs can be shipped priority, heck if they weigh less than 13 oz, they could be sent first class. (I wouldn't suggest it, because that could take 6+days) I work for the PO so I hope it helps, ask to talk to the post master if she won't let you. Everyone else I've gotten eggs from have sent them priority too.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I also think the postal employee is confused. There are specific regulations for both live poultry and eggs:

For live poultry, the regulations MANDATE express mail:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm#ep197790

If you will note, for the other categories of live animals the USPS will ship, the regs will also specify the method of mailing acceptable (priority, express, parcel post, etc).

For eggs, it really doesn't specify a method. Here is the ENTIRE regulation about shipping eggs. Since no method is mandated, I would interpret that to mean that any method of the shipper's choice should be acceptable, express, priority, first class and/or parcel, subject to the normal restrictions of weight and package size, of course:

54 Eggs

Eggs are mailable in domestic mail subject to the following general conditions:

1. They are individually cushioned.
    2. They are otherwise packed to withstand shocks encountered during normal Postal Service handling.
    3. They are not likely to be harmed by anticipated temperature changes while in Postal Service custody.

This is all in USPS Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail.

If the postal employee still gives you a hassle, tell them to check Publication 52. If that still doesn't work, I'd ask to speak to the postmaster or supervisor on duty and see if that works. Or, worst case scenario, try shipping from a different post office if practical.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_009.htm

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    She took them finally. I just didn't know if they were making a change. She stopped me as I was going out the door. Maybe she was getting it confused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by