eggs help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by duck mad 2012, Dec 29, 2012.

1. duck mad 2012

duck mad 2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    hi all ive hatched out chinese quail eggs before with great sucsess.
    i have bought 2 more quails male and female, she has layed 5 eggs so far so ive put them in my incubator i candled them today they are on day 11 and i think they are dead i cant see no movement at all. my incubator tepm is good and everything elce,
    Can anyone help me why there dead,, iam i missing something?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What temp are you running at? And what is the humidity in the incubator? Is this incubator still air or are their fans running? Is outside oxygen getting into the incubator?

Did you store these eggs or put them directly into the incubator large end up? Are they being turned at least 3 times a day?

How long have these birds been mating?

You may not be able to see into these eggs if they are really mottled. Are there any veins visible at all or do they appear clear?

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    are you sure you have a male and female? Have you witnessed them mating? What are the ages of both birds? Are they healthy?
    and of course there are the incubator questions as well...what temp and humidity were you using? auto roller or hand rolling? lol please give more information and we can see if we can help.

4. duck mad 2012

Aug 6, 2012
    yes i have male and female and they are healthy and ive seen them mate they 1 and a half yrs old.
    my temp is 99.5f
    i have a glass in the incubator filled with water i fill this 1 a week.
    i turn them my self 3 times aday.
    i put the eggs directly in to the incubator as soon as i found them.
    and yes outside oxygen is getting in to the incubator as its not fanned.

i cant understand my other quaie eggs hatched a few months back fine everything is the same
    thanks for helping

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is this a home made incubator? Are you sure the temps are correct? It is always advised to use two thermometers so that you know your temps is correct. Also, do you actually know what the humidity level is? If you don't have a meter, the humidity may be too high or too low, which would cause death inside the egg.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. duck mad 2012

Aug 6, 2012
    yes its homemade.i do have 2 thermometers and my humidity level is on 20%

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like this is your problem....the humidity level needs to be somewhere around 50% or so. 45% to 55% is an exceptable level.

8. duck mad 2012

Aug 6, 2012
    right ok how do i get it up and stay there?

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Get a couple of sponges and soak them down. Give them a squeeze, don't wring them dry but fairly wet. Put them inside the incubator and wait about 15 mins. See what that does for the humidity. If it is still too low, add more sponges. Too high, and remove a sponge.

However I think at this point, it may be too late for these eggs. You can finish off the incubation, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

10. duck mad 2012

Aug 6, 2012
    ok thanks for your help my quail is still laying eggs i will have to have another go. but i will look at incubators to buy a new one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by