Eggs hot days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nightrider, Jun 21, 2010.

1. nightrider

nightrider New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    I work all day and can not check on the chicks untill late in the evening. My question is if they lay eggs in the morning will the eggs be ok in the hot weather until I can gather them. The heat in the hen house sometime reaches 105 in the day time will this not start cooking the eggs or will the eggs spoil in the heat.

2. VAeggman

VAeggman Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Good question???
    My wife has been on me to find out the same thing....Anybody???

3. VAeggman

May 4, 2010
    Quote:Come on Chicken people ??[​IMG]
    I always get a quick response with questions.....don't let me down!!

4. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Hey there. Where do you live that it gets that hot in the coop?? If you dont already, you should think about getting some ventilation in there! I personally wouldnt be too worried about the eggs because I dont think that it would be a constant 105 all day long. Do you refridgerate them when you gather? It prolly would help?

5. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Also according to google the temp needs to be 158 degrees F for the proteins to denature or cook.

6. nightrider

nightrider New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Yes the coop is well ventilated but here in Arkansas the summer gets very hot. The other night at 11:00 p.m it was 82 degrees outside 90% humidity. If you have not been here you would not understand.

I gather the eggs then place them in the fridge but they have been sitting in the nest all day. Like I said just wondering if they were still ok to eat when they have been at such a hot temp all day.

The chicks do have plenty of water and shade outside in the run and stay out most of the time but it stays very hot in the coop.

7. VAeggman

May 4, 2010
    Well I have heard from a local farmer they would be fine. I just wanted to here it again from somebody else. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. nightrider

nightrider New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Anyone else ?

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They will be fine! I live in La. and we get temps in the 100's and sometime I can't collect my eggs till late in the evenings and have never had one go bad yet!!

Missi

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I collect at the end of days too and they were fine. I didn't have to refigerate them anyway, it would be eaten within a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by