Eggs in Bater, so nervous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stampntam, Dec 31, 2010.

1. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I just got a new bater for Christmas and I have put some eggs in today, I am so nervous I will not do it correctly, I have never done this but I have done a lot of reading, anyone have any advice?
    thanks

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck. I am doing my 1st eggs on sat. Wish i could help you but i don't know anything about it yet. guess we are just 2 newbies. Hope all goes well

3. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    thanks, good luck to you too. Keep me up to date on how yours goes!

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Good luck!

I just had my first hatch!

I had the jitters, same as you.

I had some issues with power outages and 'Bator getting unplugged, but it seems like everything turned out OK. [​IMG]

Feel free to ask me or anyone here questions. The only stupid question, is the only one not asked.[​IMG]

5. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    thank you, I will ask

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I'm sure you'll do fine. I am just starting to gather my girls eggs, to set in the next 10 days. It will be my second time using an incubator to hatch. Usually I rely on the girls to do it themselves. Most incubators have very good instructions and you should not try to make it more complicated than it really is. I think this time of year the big thing will be to not open too much and lose humidity. I know that is going to be my biggest problem. I like to candle, and with the wood-stove I am worried I will have to keep myself from opening the incubator too often and losing humidity.

good luck, and enjoy.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I see that you are surviving three children. You will survive this. Think you're anxious now? Just wait until they start pipping.[​IMG]

8. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I just got a new bater for Christmas and I have put some eggs in today, I am so nervous I will not do it correctly, I have never done this but I have done a lot of reading, anyone have any advice?

This is 8th day on my first incubator experience. I'm using a LG with fan and turner and find that my biggest concern is getting a thermometer that I can be sure is correct. I've got 2 of the LG mercury thermometers, 2 oral digital thermometers, and 1 Zilla thermometer and they all register BIG differences (up to 2.5 degrees variance with all 3 types).
    There is no way to calibrate them using the ice water since none of them will go down to 32 degrees. The oral thermometer is in the middle range, and since it's made for human temps, I'm going to assume that it is the closest and hope I'm right.
    Anyone have suggestions?​

9. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I do not know, sorry. My bater has a built in thermometer. (Brinsea Mini Advance) but I am looking for a small humidity tester. It needs to be really small to fit inside this little machine. I know I am going to want a bigger bater real soon. I think I am in trouble, lol

10. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I got a question, I have a silkie that just went broody, can I put the eggs that I put in the bator under her, I just set them on the 31st. I would like to do this because I would like to purchase eggs online to put in bator.
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by