1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs in freezing weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mapcheck, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mapcheck

mapcheck New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    First year having chickens and they just starting laying. Well, 2 out of 6 have but the others should start any day now.

They lay between 9:00am and 1:00pm, but we leave for work by 8:00. If the weather is below freezing during the day, and the eggs are not removed from the boxes until after we get home, should we be concerned about the eggs freezing. This may only be an issue for only a hand full of days but don't know if we should do anything about it.

Thanks,

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How cold does it get during the day where you live? Without a gen. geographical location it's hard to answer your question. The only time I've had a problem here in the pnw is when we get a stretch of freakishly (for us) cold weather and it stays below the mid teens during the day. Our regular daytime lows (25-40) during the winter don't cause any problems, and even when it hangs in the mid-upper teens I haven't had any frozen eggs. The coop stays a bit warmer then outside and since the hens usually only use 2-3 of the nest boxes and so are in and out for a good part of the day the eggs never get cold enough to freeze thru.

3. mapcheck

mapcheck New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    In Chapel Hill, NC.

Like I said, only a few days a year will not get above freezing. Good point about the hens going in and out.

Thanks for the info.

4. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    i've had frozen eggs almost every day for several weeks. haven't been able to check for eggs every 2 hours.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Thick nesting material, hay, straw,will help. They like to nestle down in it, and it can help protect them from freezing. But unless you put some heat in there, you'll most likely lose a few...

6. FlyingFChick

FlyingFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Milford, Michigan
    Silly question....[​IMG] Can you tell if they are frozen without cracking them open?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wouldn't you just bring them in and let them thaw?

During the summer I worry if I don't get the eggs twice a day for fear little baby chicks will start to develop... in fact I've heard of eggs here in AZ that were hidden in the shade in July and August that hatched without a broody! (I've seen a series of weeks here where it didn't get below 95 at night and up to 108 in the day... but less in the cool shade of the ground)

It's what we call a dry hatch...[​IMG]

8. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    If frozen shouldn't the egg crack open? Expension?

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If the egg is frozen solid, it will crack due to expansion. If it hasn't cracked, then it hasn't frozen completely through. Frozen eggs are perfectly good, and I just allow them to thaw before using right away. (If they're clean). If they're dirty, I scramble them up and feed them back to the chickens or dogs. [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:NOTE:
    If you haven't listed your CITY/TOWN, STATE under your NAME yet, please go to (click) Profile (on the dark-blue line above) and then to the list on the left hand side titled Profile Menu. Going there and choosing the second item on the list, PERSONAL, you can type in the name of the city or town, state where you live.

PROFILE-------> PROFILE MENU---------> PERSONAL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by