1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs in Incubator (1st time ever)!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gfcm, Apr 23, 2011.

1. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Wish us luck! I've never hatched eggs before and thought the kids and I would give it a try. It's a home made incubator and my turner doesn't work the way I want it to, but the days have ticked by and I'm not waiting anymore! We'll be turning by hand! I think I made the tray a tad too wide. It tips, but not quite enough. Oh, well. Is anyone else starting eggs today? Mine are from Black Sex Links. If the hens and the rooster were Black Sex Links will they turn out to be Black Sex Links? I don't even know that much!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

No. Black sex links are a breeding cross of a barred rock or other barred breed an a road island red or other red breed. So breeding sexlinks to sexlinks creates only mutts, but mutts that have wild color patterns an lay lots of large brown eggs.

3. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Hmm. Should be interesting! Thanks!
    We just like eggs (and chickens), so that's fine by us!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Here is a picture of a roo that was posted on another site. I believe he is the result of a black sexlink to black sexlink breeding.
    [​IMG]

5. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:wow thats preatty roo is he drinking looks like he is holding a beer can [​IMG]

6. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    He is gorgeous! I wouldn't mind something that looked like that!

Thanks so much for sharing that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by