Pics

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Some of you know I got two dozen Welsh Harlequin eggs 25 days ago. Some were cracked, some were rotten :mad: some infertile and some just stopped developing. I am now left with 5 eggs. As of yesterday, they were all alive and kicking and seemed a bit more advanced than my guide showed. So, I decided to put them in lockdown a day early.

Monitoring the temperature and humidity like a hawk. And of course, since I live in a trailer and it got freaking cold last night, I worried since my incubator is finicky to say the least.

Gave them one last turn this morning (even though I know that's not necessary) and am now going to be pooping hard minerals (trying to be family friendly) until I have ducklings.

Some of you know I got two dozen Welsh Harlequin eggs 25 days ago. Some were cracked, some were rotten :mad: some infertile and some just stopped developing. I am now left with 5 eggs. As of yesterday, they were all alive and kicking and seemed a bit more advanced than my guide showed. So, I decided to put them in lockdown a day early.

Monitoring the temperature and humidity like a hawk. And of course, since I live in a trailer and it got freaking cold last night, I worried since my incubator is finicky to say the least.

Gave them one last turn this morning (even though I know that's not necessary) and am now going to be pooping hard minerals (trying to be family friendly) until I have ducklings.
Good luck with your hatch!

Thats why I dont adopt eggs--my youngest rescues are day old ducklings!! Day old ducklings can be a worry. I couldnt cope with incubating eggs!!!

It's my first time, and who knows if I'll ever do it again. Bah, I'm a sucker for punishment, so most probably!

I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Welshies aren't that common around here, and are expensive (someone at the livestock show was selling hens for $40/ea!) Both my daughter and I wanted this breed, so...

Temp is holding, need to add a bit of water. Tomorrow, I'll start looking for signs of pipping and movement in the eggs. Probably too early, but you never know!

When the time comes again, I will most certainly let the Muscovy sit again. The incubator is there in case something happens and a duck either doesn't sit or doesn't complete the brooding. Or, like when Luna hatched out three eggs, and then left the others. Plopped them in the incubator and got one more to hatch.

I think it's better for the babies to be raised by a momma. It's sad that so many breeds will not sit their eggs now.

I hope you don't feel I am against you hatching In a bator to me nerves of steel it would take. I am not cut out for it. I've had to help a few under a Muscovy and had to take a few that were hatched or practically hatched and help or raise them myself. That's been an experience enough for me.
I hope yours hatch without any problems look forward to seeing the little ones ❤️

I hope you don't feel I am against you hatching In a bator to me nerves of steel it would take. I am not cut out for it. I've had to help a few under a Muscovy and had to take a few that were hatched or practically hatched and help or raise them myself. That's been an experience enough for me.
I hope yours hatch without any problems look forward to seeing the little ones ❤️

Of course not, why would I? I've been a nervous wreck with these eggs since I got them and will be glad to finally see the end of this, one way or another. Maybe in the future, I'll just hatch out chickens, since I won't be stressed as long, lol!

Like you said, it's bad enough if a hen is sitting on eggs. I keep wanting to check the eggs, candle them, etc. Which is hard to do when there's a small dinosaur trying to chomp me any time I come close!

Do they ever! I am constantly covered in scratches. One nasty scratch, or rather GASH, on my finger. I don't blame them for that, though. I'm the one picking them up for various reasons.

Yesterday, I carried Mist football0style, back to the coop at bed time. He refused to come along, since he found the leftover food in the duckling pen after I'd removed them for the night.

Having a bit of trouble keeping the humidity up in the incubator. It's just below 70% with the channels filled and wet cloths spread around. Heater has been going non-stop because of the coolness in the air right now. I haven't gotten around to getting my propane tanks filled for the cold.

Back
Top Bottom