Eggs in Lockdown

CincyMan

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Rolla, Missouri
I have eight eggs in lockdown. day 25 was Saturday, Sunday was day 26 and I started hearing a peachick about 0900 on Sunday morning and one of the eggs was rocking all over the place. Anyway when I left for work this morning at 0600 there was still no holes in the egg but I could hear the chick. My question is when I get home tonight about 1800 (6PM) and there is still no progress with the chick getting out of the egg should I help it any? I figure if it's still alive by then it would be 33 hours with no progress getting out.

Again when I get home if its out or at least is making progress I would leave it alone but if not I would think 33 hours is a long time to make no progress.

Thanks for your help.

Like to add that a couple of weeks ago I had three eggs in lockdown and two pipped with one egg making a hole in the egg and I didn't help and they both died, so this is why I feel I should help this time.

Last edited:
dont help unless it has zipped an dried out what is your temp an humidty?there is no offical time line we have some never make a noise an pip an zip in less then an hour an some peep for 2 days pip for a day an then zip 24hrs later.if they are dieing in lock down i would guess you humidty is off or temp is not right.

Temp and Humidity is good, I only have a little giant still air incubator and did have problems keeping humidity high enough last time but seen on another posting where someone used sponges and pushed water through air hole with syringe. I have tried this and it seems to be working this time around.

I will see when I get home tonight, maybe I have no worries, maybe its already out of the egg.
smile.png
Thanks

what was the temp an humidty at when you left.with our peas we leave them in our sportsman till they pip then move them to lg to hatch has worked out well they seem to like to be turned right up to the end.lol our pea eggs seem to like it like our turkey eggs in lock down keep heat lower 98 an humdity high 70-75.

Humidity was 71 when I left this morning, I had read that humidity should be between 65-75 in lockdown and have been keeping it 70-73 so far. The temp was at around 100.6 this morning. I had also read that in still air to keep the temp between 100-101 as there would be cool spots in a still air incubators. I did hatch chickens out of this incubator with this method and had a 90% rate earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom