1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs In Lockdown!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kajhurley, Nov 9, 2011.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    I set 105 eggs two weeks ago and only 50 made it to lockdown. (Lots of clear eggs) Humidity up to around 70% and temp holding good at right at 100 degrees. Cross you fingers for me. Also, would it be ok to pickle the clear eggs that i took out of the bator??

2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure I would not eat an egg that has been at 100 degree's for 2 1/2 weeks. [​IMG]

3. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Good luck on your hatch!

I wouldn't eat the clear eggs. You don't know if they were quitters and have bacteria rings or are spoiled.

4. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Ok thaks. Just hate to throw out that many eggs.

5. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I know what you mean, but I go with the phrase, "When in doubt, throw it out." I'd rather not be sick or make anyone else sick.

I have the opposite problem now. I put eggs in the fridge for eating and think, "This could be a potential chick."

6. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    I find it very hard to get into the quail eggs. Is there some kind of secret to cracking them??

7. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I find that quail eggs are difficult to peel also. I've not found an easy way. Some people like to dissolve off the shells with vinegar.

I've found that if I put them from the hot pot directly into ice water that helps. I roll them so the shells are in bits then start from the blunt end (air sac) and peel the shells off under running water.

It still takes forever and the whites sometimes stick to the shells.

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    They are kinda hard to get open.

A real good wack on the counter then pry the top off. But be careful, they then to collapse. I've also given them a good wack with a steak knife but with them so small you need good aim. [​IMG]

I know they do make a special cutter for them that I want to find.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

10. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Came home today to one little pip that i can see. Soooooo excited to get off of work today at 5:00. Can't wait to see if i have any babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by