Eggs In Rcom 20 For Lock Down- Upright Or Sideways?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DAVE07, Oct 12, 2011.

1. DAVE07

DAVE07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hi All

I have 20 eggs in my RCOM 20 Pro due to hatch on Sunday so lock down starts tonight. The eggs are currently sitting on their sides in the chicken egg trays that come with the bator.

I was contemplating placing the eggs upright in card board egg cartons for the hatch .

My rationale is so that the hatched chicks wont be bumping in to unhatched eggs when they hatch and also would probably keep the machine a bit cleaner.

Obviously I dont want to do anything that would jeopardize the hatch.

Would taking the eggs out and putting them in cartons this late in the incubation process harm the eggs?

2. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I've seen people recommend that you place the aircell toward the sky at hatchtime, because this is where the chick will pip into internally, so having it upright will prevent them from pipping internally and coming in contact with any fluids lingering toward the bottom of the egg. I've hatched them on their sides, though, with no problem. I think it's probably more a preference thing than anything else, but I'm interested to hear what others say so I'm giving this a bump.

Best of luck to you! I have eight days left, but something in my gut tells me mine will be early this time around. I'm glad I still have the weekend to get the brooder ready!

Happy hatching!

3. DAVE07

DAVE07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Melbourne
    I really want to try it but am scared that it will disrupt the process (ie because chicks are rotated, the few minutes out of the bator may harm eggs, also because the egg cartons are cooler and may take longer to warm up, and because their is no air circulation around the carton)

Has anyone done the switch just before lock down?

Also just wanted to confirm that air sac on top means pointy side down yes??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by