Eggs in Research

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ninjapoodles, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicken embryos make excellent model systems! Never did a CAM assay myself, just muscle development with chick somites.

About turning one into a dino.... yeah... rather stick with the stuff that will help people with medical issues such as muscular dystrophy or hearing loss. Chickens can regenerate ear hair cells, so even if they go deaf, they will regain their hearing over time! Now if we can figure out how, we won't need hearing aids!

3. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    They regenerate hearing? Why on earth have I never hear that little fact before? I would love to have oodles of money to grant to scientists so I can sic them on that project!

Every time I think chickens can't possibly get any cooler . . .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep! Birds have the amazing ability to regenerate ear hair cells thus effectively can't go deaf forever!

5. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Science makes me happy. [​IMG]

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Anybody who doesn't believe in evolution and dinosaurs ought to raise some RIR peeps and then watch Jurassic Park.

7. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Someone saw pics of some of my Marans chicks at the feathering-out stage, and asked me, "They don't hunt in groups of three, do they?"

I said, "I'm not sure, but they ARE clever girls..." [​IMG]

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    ninjapoodles . . . your posts usually make me happy, so I gave in to curiosity and visited your blog. Add that to the list of things that make me happy. It's charming, informative, insightful, relevant . . . well, it's any number of compliments that don't seem to properly get my point across. Thank you. [​IMG]

9. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    I recently became sad about eggs in science.

I work in a lab at a Big 10 school. One of the labs on my floor uses eggs for their research. In order to get exactly the eggs they need, they have been keeping about 40 hens at the campus poultry facility. Recently they found out that all the hens had mites, intestinal parasites, and were in generally terrible health and all had to be euthanized. What they think happened was that someone in ornithology brought in a wild bird, didn't properly quarantine, and infected the whole flock. And apparently no one noticed the deteriorating state of the birds until someone from the lab went to check up on them.

10. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:Anyone who does believe in evolution just has to look at the fossil record, or the complexity of the "simple" cell, or many other things, to know that we didn't come about by random chance. We are here thanks to Intelligent Design.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by