Eggs in the bator as of 4/4 first time hatcher anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickchickchiky, Apr 6, 2012.

1. chickchickchiky

chickchickchiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have 16 eggs in the bator this is my first attempt at incubation. I have a little giant still air bator with turner and i am doing the dry air method of hatching. I will be attempting to hatch French black copper marans and true Ameraucana's. I would love any and all advise from the experts.

I have the bator in a bathroom with no windows or drafts of any kind. Temp is holding at 100 degrees and humidity is 60% in the room 28 in the bator not sure if this is good or not but i will not be adding water just yet i am letting the room humidity do it's thing. Plugs are out in the bator so we will see. I am following the dry method posted here on BYC learning as i heard these breeds i am trying to hatch like things drier.

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Welcome and congrats!!! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are on your way. However, my personal opinion is your humidity is too high right now. During the first 18 days I keep mine about 45-50. Then during lockdown (days 19-21) I bump it up to 60-65.

Everyone has different opinions and different humidity levels work for where you are. It is trial and error.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

3. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Well the humidity is at 60% outside the bator inside it's 28% i have not added any water to it at all. I figure between what is outside and inside it's enough for now. I will add water on day 18 before lock down to help them hatch or was it 14 i have to go back and read lol. I have not added any water since the humidity in the room is so high do you think they will be ok for now?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    well, I am by no means an expert. But you would want the humidity IN the incubator to be 60. Also lockdown starts on day 19[​IMG]

hopefully someone with more knowledge of humidity will jump on here and give some more advice.

I use a homemade incubator. and I always try to get my humidity levels like I stated above.

5. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Set my eggs today (4/6) and this is also my first hatch!! Mind if I join your thread? =]

I have 8 Cayuga duck eggs in my home made cooler Bator. Temps are perfect and humidity ranges a little throughout the day. Mostly in the 50's so I think its ok. I'm so excited!!!!! :weee

6. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sure u can the more the merrier :)

7. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    So i am like ready for tomorrow to candle my eggs and see what if anything has changed inside! Tomorrow will actually be 7 days i actually put them in on the 3rd but forgot oh well. I am excited to see if any are starting to grow in there.

8. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Oh, I want to candle mine so bad! But my day 7 isn't until Friday, I hope I can wait. I want to know so bad. xD

9. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I know i have been comping at the bit to see what i have but i have been good and keeping it closed and not peeking lol

10. chickchickchiky

Mar 15, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Well i did the 7 day candling and i have no idea what i saw lol from what i can tell in the blue eggs they look like the pictures i have been looking at but i did not see any movement and saw some veining in some. So i guess i will leave them to day 14 and go from there. Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by