Eggs in the bator (day 20) and need some help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenhead, Mar 21, 2010.

1. greenhead

greenhead In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    my daughter has her first batch of eggs in the bator. we ended up with 7 fertile eggs. we have a couple of questions. it is now day 20 and we really do not know what to do. ew added water on day 19 when we removed the automatic egg turner. now what? just wait till they hatch? what if some hatch before the others? how long do you leave them in there after they hatch? we kinda need some guidance to get us through the end of this. thank you for your help.

2. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I believe after hatch they can live of the yolk sack for 24 hours poss 1 more day

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I just did my first hatch a few weeks ago and had the same questions. First thing I can tell you is they don't hatch any faster if you sit there watching them. I found that out at 3am the first night. Second thing, you can leave them in for up to 2 days, but it will drive you crazy seeing the poor little things in there. Luckily all of mine hatched within 36 hours of each other and I put them all in the brooder at the same time.

4. Triple R Bantams

Triple R Bantams In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Main thing is patience!!! They can live after they hatch for at least 24 hours. Be sure they are completely dry for removal from the incubator, this is one thing people do too quick and the chicks get chilled and dont recover. It is hard to sit and wait, but it gets easier every year lol...

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    You're in what is called lockdown. You should up your humidity to at least 65%. Do not open the bator. You should have taken them out of the turner on day 18, but I think you'll be ok. Do not be tempted to open the bator and take chicks out no matter how fluffy and cute they look. Wait until day 22 at least or until all the chicks hatch and are dry and stable on their legs. They can stay in the bator for at least 24 hours. If you open the bator, those that have pipped will be shrink wrapped inside the shell by the membrane of the egg.

Good luck!!! [​IMG] May you get a bator full of fluffbutts!

6. greenhead

greenhead In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    thank you to all that replied!! we are very excited. if i can't open the bator how do i keep the humidity up? when do i have to stop adding water?

7. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    If you added water right before lock down you should be OK. Shut any vents. Once the first egg hatches your humidity goes up as the moisture from the hatch increases the humidity in the incubator.

8. fowlmamma

fowlmamma Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    northeastern pa
    i just went through this same problem on thursday. my advice is relax just watch them hatch its so cool and enjoy it. i let them dry in the incubator for a day and then put em in the brooder 16 total . i just cleaned out my incubator and im ready for round two im putting in 3 dz barred rocks .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: