1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eggs in the bedding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naturemama, Jun 29, 2011.

1. naturemama

naturemama New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Hey! I have 6 laying hens, 6 nesting boxes, 6 eggs a day, woohoo! Except one egg everyday is layed in the back corner of the coop on the floor. 2 or 3 nesting boxes are used daily for the other eggs, why is this hen laying in the bedding? can i deter her somehow (don't know which one). i got them at 18 weeks old about a month ago.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

She may be lowest on the pecking order and not be allowed access to the other nestboxes by the other hens. Or, she just may not be comfortable with the nestboxes for whatever strange reason chickens get in their itty bitty brains.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. naturemama

naturemama New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I didn't think about her getting bullied. hmmm. i'm having so much fun with these chickens, that i'm hoping she's just afraid of heights and all my chickens are oh so nice [​IMG] thanks!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No problem. I have an older hen, well 3 years old, that has started dropping eggs in the bedding; usually right in the area of the nestboxes. In her case I know she's not being bullied; she's one of the highest ranking hens. I'm beginning to think her egg shoot is worn out and she just doesn't make it to the boxes in time.

Enjoy your chickens. [​IMG]

5. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    cant figure out whats in their minds, thats for sure! my 15 mo old RIR always laid in her nest, then for two weeks, no eggs. Then two days laid them in the run, then for whatever reason went back to the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by