Eggs in the floor....

RoosterRidge

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Dry Fork, Va.
DH had his knee replaced the 2nd week of September. We were gone for 4 days and hired someone to come 2xs a day to feed and water our flock. I noticed a few days after we returned home that I had 2 girls in the nesting boxes that would not leave. They have been doing this for going on for almost 2 months now. I take them outside and they will stay out for a while then go back in. When I enter the coop they just fluff up and start raising cain. I can take eggs from underneath them but they act like I am killing them. For about a week now I have been finding eggs in the coop floor under the nesting boxes. All my girls had been doing so good about laying in the nesting boxes. We have 24 hens and 8 boxes. Anyway I am finding at least 4 eggs on the coop floor and one under the roost each day. Is this because the 2 ladies that have gone broody and raise cain when they come near the boxes? I know there are alot of you out there that can give me the advice I need. I have noticed the 2 broody hens have been leaving the box in the morning when I open the door to the run. Which is an improvement. I don't want any babies to have to worry about during the winter so that is why I am not letting them stay on any eggs. Thanks for any advice I receive.

May as well go ahead and separate the two who are acting broody. Sometimes, it is just their personalities of "semi-broodiness" and that too is tough to deal with.
I'd give them the "anti broody" treatment just to be sure. It won't kill them.

Yes, if a hen cannot get to her favorite box because of a monopolizer, they'll drop them in front of the box, etc.

Back
Top Bottom