Eggs in the Fridge 24 hours. My hens broody!!Can I put then under her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hey y'all, I have banty rose combs and a hen that just went broody for the first time yesterday. There was 1 egg in the nest. It has been there for a month (to keep her using the nest) The other two have been in the fridge 1 for 24 hours and one for like 8 hours. I found another egg in the coop but I think it was from my young hen (her 1st egg!! it was elongated looking but I threw it under the hen anyways.

Are any of these eggs going to hatch?? I've never even seen my roo get with the younger hen. I thought maybe she wasn't "ready" or something. Maybe it's not even fertile or maybe they're secretive:) What do you think????

and the fridge? some say yay, some say nay.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    YES.......i understand they can be in for up to 2 weeks and be fine to hatch. Might wanna kepp them out for a bit to not chill her butt [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I would gather fresh eggs for a few days and store them in a cool (not refrigerated) spot; then, when you have enough, replace the old egg you have under her with the new eggs. It won't hurt the hen to be broody for more than 21 days.

4. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i kept my eggs in the fridge, they're in the bator now and are looking great as far as growing. Just make sure they've been at room temp. for atleast a few hours if not half a day, so they're not shocked by the sudden temp. change [​IMG]

5. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have always kept my eggs in the fridge..and if they are fertile,they hatch just fine. I just set them on the counter for a while,until they get to room temperature before setting them in the bator.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks so much. I just hope at least one hatches for her:( I don't have any other hens old enough to lay eggs right now so what she's got is what she's got!

7. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I wish you all the luck !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Wishing you good luck!

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Sure,they'll be fine. Just bring them to room temp and give them to her. Think abou the hens that lay a clutch of eggs in Feb. Those eggs stay for more than 24 hours in cold temps bfore the hen decided to set.Good luck!

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks everyone for all the awesome insight. The one things that still gets me is my hubby (lord forgive him:) thought he was doing me a favor and brought the two eggs in to the fridge and it wasn't later til I was like AHHHH!!!! so I think they may have started incubating for a day or so before they hit the fridge!! This is more like a science experiment. ha hahahhah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by